All This "Stuff" about TRUE LOVE

2SidestoStories

Okay. Ranting. Soapbox in position.

I will begin with a disclaimer: Yep. I'm jaded. Yep, I've recently been hurt, etc.

However...

It drives me completely up the wall when people say that "If your partner truly loved you he/she wouldn't be confused, etc." Frankly, I think this is a big fat load of horse manure.

Maybe it's just me. Maybe I'm the wrong one here. I can admit this openly and up front. HOWEVER, being "in love" and being in a long-term committed relationship based on LOVE are two entirely different things. Being in love does not take any real effort on either side. Being in a relationship does. Being in love is that really great goofy, giddy, happy, I-can-go-out-and-do-anything-because-this-person-adores-me sort of feeling.

Some folks are lucky and they can reignite that giddiness throughout the course of their relationship. Some people can't. Does this mean that a person does or does not love you? Not necessarily.

We can only truly know the motivations of ONE person, ever: Bill Gates. Oh wait...I meant, ourselves. Seriously, though, I can't presume to know what is in anyone else's head, ever. I can analyze the hell out of their actions, words, etc. and have a fair guess as to what he/she might do, BUT I will never know what is in their head, unless perchance he/she opts to tell me. But even then, I have my own limitations as to what I choose to understand out of what was said.

<sigh>

But my point is that yes, I believe that people can find each other and can fall in love and want to spend the rest of their lives together, but that it takes a great deal of personal insight; knowing what YOU want out of life, a partner, etc. before you can make that sort of leap. True love is, perhaps, the willingness to respect, support, accept, communicate, trust, (I'm sure there's more...I have yet to be fortunate enough to encounter it!) your partner, come hell or high water; and you really have to be able to respect, accept, and communicate with yourself in order to be able to do it with anyone else.

Just had to vent. :p

• Author
2SidestoStories

So when you wanna meet, Tony? :cool: (there is unfortunately no smiley that is equivalent to Evil Grin.)

Oh, and I think I have been figuring it out, slowly but surely. Which is why I had to rant.