Good place to raise school aged children in the US?

My boys are 8 and 10 years old, very active, love sports.

We are from Europe and lived in the US for a few years. Not really tight down to an area due to family etc. and I work from home so I can work anywhere.

I am researching what good places are to raise children in the US?

What do you think? and why? School systems obviously matter a lot.

Thank you for your advice :)

• 3 weeks later...
Lady vs Panda

The San Francisco Bay Area has a lot of positives, but a few major negatives.

It's got culture, nightlife, great universities, it's on the ocean and near the redwood forests, there's boating and hiking, it's liberal, a lot of transplanted Europeans live there, there's amazingly good food of all kinds, it's got a temperate climate (rarely too hot or too cold, although San Francisco itself is often chilly and foggy.)

It's really expensive. The outlying areas (East Bay, North Bay etc.) are more affordable but still more expensive than most of the rest of the US. Housing prices are lower now than they have been in a decade, however.

Some of the school districts are GREAT, some of them are HORRIBLE. You have to really research each city/neighborhood.

threebyfate

Do you prefer an urban or rural area? This is key in making any selection. Not everyone can live in the country or city.

Detroit.:laugh::p

Kidding aside, like TBF stated do you prefer the country or the city? Are you hoping to avoid hot summers or cold winters? How well off are you financially? Lots to consider

Pasadena, San Marino, Mission Viejo, Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, Calistoga, Redwood City, South Lake Tahoe...all California. :)