dating best friend issues

I have been dating a girl for about a month but before we were dating we had been best friends for 2 years. It all kind of randomly happened over summer but I never thought she was interested because she always talked about this guy who she always kept interest in.

Now we are always together and I am starting to really fall for her and she tells me the same thing, but we still fight about this other guy. He's some old interest from high school that shes played flirt games with and they have never dated. Then he joined the army for 2 years and they talk on the phone or write letter every so often. But hes back in a month and she says she dating him no matter what. I dont understand why she has to date a person shes only held an interest in and doesnt even really know cause hes been gone 2 yrs.

So lets say in a month I let her go so she can have her chance and in the end it doesnt work out. Is it selfish to see myself as some rebound and not take her back? I understand that if you feel strongly for a person it lasts forever but in the end my feelings werent enough to keep her.