I haven’t had a roommate in several years and while I am not thrilled about the idea, I think I may need to move to a smaller apartment or move to place with roommates. The last time I had a roommate I was just out of college and the place was, um, not the nicest.

Care to share any experiences about living with roommates (non-intimate) in their 20s-30s?

Yeah, don't do it. I don't know about you, but I feel like I would almost rather be homeless than live with someone I'm not in love with.

I've had many roommate from hell experiences over the years. If you can possibly afford to live on your own, even if it's not the nicest place, I'd go for it. Here are some examples:

1-Miss Piggy- left a pot of chili on the stove for a week until it got mouldy, would leave used kleenexes around the apartment (including on the kitchen counter) and created a constant obsticle course between the bedrooms and kitchen.

2-Neat Freak from Hell- Was so obsessed about everything being in it's place, would empty toothpaste or hair products down the sink if they were left out on the counter. Shampoo and conditioner had to be kept under the sink. Threw out a pair of concert tickets I had bought with another roomie and left by the phone so she would find them.

3-Spoiled princesses on their own for first time- thought it would be fun to melt their initials into the kitchen floor using hairspray and a lighter. When fire got out of control, used the fire extinguisher to put it out, and never cleaned up the mess, left a giant melted crater in front of the stove. I wasn't home, yet lost my share of the damage deposit, couldn't recover it.

4-Crazy foreign girl- couldn't figure out how to close the back door, so strange animals would randomly wander in. Found a cat, mice and even a prarie dog in our house over the course of a summer.

That along with the typical struggles of other people eating my food, trying to collect money for utilities and other bills, dealing with noise at night, friends coming over and crashing on the couch all the time... so many reasons I'd do anything to avoid another roommate situation. I won't move in with another person until I have a ring on my finger.

Not too shabby. I seem to strike lucky with my roommates.

1st - same age as me and working professional. He was an only child and is bad at getting on someone's good side to make friends...hence he was mostly self absorbed in himself or doing things alone and half the time was inconsiderate as a person. Him constantly being at home afterwork got to be a bit annoying because he'd always be in my face. Some of his junk is still at my place which should've been gone 3 weeks ago. Otherwise we're still cool.

2nd - current roommate and older by a few years, working professional and rarely ever home. When he is we talk a lot and share the same interests of not having a tv..total distraction. We share common interests and hang out sometimes outside.

Though they both have a way of turning me into a groggy morning person because my day starts at 12pm, with all the noise they make in the morning..but that's expected.

Personally I think the best roommate situation is with someone that's not home too often. Otherwise, living alone would be too expensive for me plus it's boring to live alone. There are too much interesting people in this world to not do roommates!