matter of opinion

Everyone has different points of view. Everyone has different opinions on things. Important issues to one person will seem trivial to another. Is it a difference in principals, in character, in personality...or is it because we are basically all selfish and everyone sees things from their point of view?

When roles are reversed will the things that seem so trivial when you do them to other people really still be trivial?

if everyone just spent a little more time thinking about things from the point of view of others, won't this world be a better place?

No ... if everyone had the same views as everyone else, this world would be a boring place.

Think about it for a minute. We live our lives in our unique bodies and our unique minds ... and our bodies and our minds are different from everybody elses. Therefore, our points of view and our opinions are naturally going to different as well. There's nothing selfish about that, seeing as how that's how nature made us and we have zero control over it.

Now, unless you're a clone supporter ...

Well that's a whole 'nother story.

It is not practical for every person to consider every matter that exists in the universe. People on the west side of town are, for obvious reasons, more concerned about issues that face them. People in your neighborhood are obviously more concerned about issues that affect your neighborhood than other people's neighborhoods.

It's not a matter of selfishness. It has more to do with an individual's capacity to give proper attention to the matters that are most important. And usually the matters that are most important to any person are the one's that directly affect his or her life.

I am not a selfish person, but what is going on right now in your area is quite trivial to me, especially since I have no idea whatsoever where you live and there are millions of neighborhoods in the world.

There are also topics and issues that are of more interest to one person than to another. This is the way humans were put together. If you want to talk about astronomy, I would love to join in on the conversation but if you want to discuss square dancing, you can leave me out. It has nothing to do with selfishness at all. I am entitled to my interests and you are entitled to yours.

Happy 2002!

i'd like to just comment on your last two paragraphs, and say that i TOTALLY agree with what you said!

there are so many issues that could be resolved with much less pain and struggle if people "put themselves in the other person's shoes". i think role-reversal or whatever you want to call it is absolutely GREAT!!

now, i'm not saying it's always going to work, or we need to do this for absolutely every situation, but it HAS worked for me, and i know it's worked for many others -- especially in my very close relationships.

that's just my 2 cents!!

Everyone has different points of view. Everyone has different opinions on things. Important issues to one person will seem trivial to another. Is it a difference in principals, in character, in personality...or is it because we are basically all selfish and everyone sees things from their point of view? When roles are reversed will the things that seem so trivial when you do them to other people really still be trivial? if everyone just spent a little more time thinking about things from the point of view of others, won't this world be a better place?