Unwritten work rules

Are there any unwritten codes or rules that I should know about hitting on clients of mine? I work in a small town and I want to hit on some of my clients. Can I flirt while at work when they come in? What are the general can and cants and any other questions?

You want to just flirt, or you want to actually hit on them and ask them out?

Does your employer have rules about it?

If you hit on a client, how are they going to feel next time they see you? What if they don't reciprocate? It could make things awkward.

I've always thought it's unprofessional to actually hit on a client, but generally considered innocent (as in not overtly sexual) flirting is ok.

What kind of work do you do? That would have an impact as well. In some professions flirting helps seal the deal, bring in greater sales, repeat clients, referred clients, bigger tip, etc. But obviously those don't apply to all situations.

HokeyReligions

Hitting on a client everywhere I have ever been is considered highly unprofessional and I have seen people lose their jobs because of it. It's a risk to losing a client and an employer would rather lose an employee than a client every time.

A lot depends on the type of work and business environment though. If you are a cable installer for instance, you might meet a client that it wouldn't impact the job. A friend of mine met her husband when he came to do some attic insulation for instance.

I used to work at one of those survey companies that operate in shopping malls and after I interviewed one guy we flirted and two years later were married - that was over 25 years ago. He wasn't a paying client though - he was someone who volunteered to participate in a survey. It didn't impact the company.

In a business or office environment where clients are maintained and continue to provide revenue to a business it's not a good idea.

• Author

Well to answer all your questions I work in a law firm.. i am the head legal secretary and his dad is one of my main clients. I would never actually hit on him at work in my office. Is it acceptable for me to flirt in this setting? I see him about once a week at a local diner on my lunch.. this is where I would like to "hit on him"..

Ask yourself these questions as head legal secretary:

• Do you have access to confidential legal documents/agreements for the father?
  • Would you consider your potential relationship with the son, arms-length?
  • What if things didn't work out in the future and you and the son have a blow-out? Would the father yank his business?

HokeyReligions

Being a law firm I would suggest you check into the HR policy first. Simple flirting when you know its going nowhere is probably OK, but hitting on a client either in the office (a definite no-no) or away from the office is questionable. Is your job worth the risk? As a legal secretary you can look up any laws that might pertain to client privlige or if the client loses money on something could he come back and hold the firm responsible because of his relationship to you? IOW could you be used as leverage either for or against the said client - or any other client that might unethical practices on the part of the law firm should they lose a case.

That said, I'm sure that there are many people who have relationships with business clients and it's fine. Just cover yourself with the policies of the company you work for because of the sensitive nature of the information you handle.

I used to work for a huge bank. I was in the Portfolio Management division and it was a firm policy that we could not socialize outside of business functions with the Investment side because we had very confidential information pertaining to major merger's and such for some large businesses. We could not divulge any information to the 'other side' due to Federal regulations pertaining to insider trading. I knew about some Major O&G company mergers sometimes years before they happened. If that information got out it would have had a serious impact on the stock market. Everyone from the file clerks and receptionist up to the bank president could have been prosecuted had there been a leak. "Pillow talk" has brought down many people.

I may just be over-cautious.

• Author

THERE are no written rules on this. That is why i say unwritten. I have no code of ethics about relationships, it is a very small office and only one attorney. Arm's length? I don't quite know what that means but I have only truly talked to the guy like one time.. I have seen him only twice in my office and like i said many times out in the city.. Does that help? What if I just introduce myself(I am shy so when he came in and I talked to him, I was nervous and shocked so I didn't flirt or anything) and see if he makes an effort to get to know me.. is this okay?

You can't possibly be a legal secretary.

I'm no lawyer and most of these terms are familiar to me in business.

Btw, one of the members who responded to you is a lawyer...

Well, if that attorney has any business sense, they'll suggest she go through with it... drum up some more business for the good 'ole practice of law. Ah, but she's an anomaly - she's an ethical attorney. Hmph. I guess we'll have to go with the old stand-by:

Do not do this!

Only if you know the exact nature of the relationship, aka friendly and wide open, between father and son, would you even consider pursuing the son's business. There's too much information floating around the office, for this not to become an ethics question.

• Author
You can't possibly be a legal secretary.

I'm no lawyer and most of these terms are familiar to me in business.

Btw, one of the members who responded to you is a lawyer...

I don't care who responded to me.. I am a 23 year old business (still) STUDENT who has been a legal secretary for ONLY a little over one year. OKAY- I definitely get it.. don't talk to him personally.. don't act interested at all.. no big deal.. I can find men other places, he is just one that I found intriguing and was interested in getting to know. My office has no policies on this sort of thing so I thought I would inquire...

Thanks for all your help and crushing my hopes all at the same time!! So at any given time I meet a man in this small town, I will rush back to the office and crosscheck his name with my database to ensure there is no conflict before I proceed!! Thanks