Last night my ex sent me a text asking if he could come see me today...we haven't seen each other in months. What does he want??

A little background:

My ex and I were together for 3 years...known each other for 5. Our relationship was very turbulent from the start, but we loved each other very much and had this undeniable attraction to each other that we could never shake. But I found out in September that he had been cheating on me for months with someone we both knew. I broke it off with him and everytime we saw each other after that, it was just HORRIBLE fighting. It seemed like there was no love left whatsoever; just hate.

We run in the same circles, so I haven't really seen a lot of our friends so that I would not have to talk about him or take the chance of running into him. Fast forward a couple of months and he's seeing the girl he cheated on me with and I'm seeing someone else. For the past 3 weeks, he'd been trying to reach out to me by sending me messages on aim about once a week. At first I was pretty short with him, but I'm not the kind of person to hold grudges and I thought that after all we'd been through we could at least salvage some sort of friendship.

A couple of days ago I called him to see how he was doing. It was a 5 minute conversation. He said he had to go, but would call me back. He called back last night and again it was an awkward 5 minute conversation then he said he had to go. I woke up at 5 am and realized that he had sent me a text around 4 that said that he wants to see me today... Is this a good idea?? What does he want?? Maybe the same thing I do?? I just want to be able to be friends with him again. I do miss having him in my life in some ways, but I never want to start up a relationship again.