Met great guy - one catch

Jodie

I was out with my girl friends the other night and this guy showed up with one of his friends.

I knew this guy vaguely from the past as he once dated one of my girl friends. She was less than thrilled that he showed up as she thought that it meant he still wanted her, however he said to me he was just trying to catch up with her, as have not seen or heard from her in such long time.

The problem is this, she asked me to 'look after him' for the night, ie. flirt with him, do whatever to keep him away from her. I did this, but we kind of ended up exchanging phone numbers and admitting that we had discovered that night that we really liked each other.

He called me just before and asked to catch up tonight, and while I would really love to see him and find out where, if anywhere, this attraction could end up, I am feeling seriously guilty and worried about what my friends reaction will be.

I know I should just be honest with her, but I am worried if I even admit I have feeling for her ex I may lose her as a friend, she tends to be a bit protective over ex boyfriends.

HELP

You don't have to admit to her how you feel about her ex. Just tell her you gave him your number so the two of you could keep in touch (the night she asked you to "look after him") and he called and wants to get together and hang out. At this point, it's only harmless friendship anyway.

If she tells you go for it, then by all means go for it and whatever happens happens. If she tells you she would rather you didn't get too chummy with her ex, drop the idea...unless you would rather explore what might happen between you and her ex than keep her friendship.

I'd say the decent thing to do would be to do whatever she says if she's a friend. If she's been a good friend, that's far better to preserve than getting something temporary started with one of her old guys you may be smitten with. There are lots of guys out there to see, but not as many people who will show themselves to be a decent friend.

After all, she does get weird about her ex's, yet she trusted you to "look after him" for one night. I think you ought to honor that trust if that's what she wants. One day, somebody may do the same for you. You know, the karma thing.

I talked it over with friend and she admitted she would, yes, have a problem with my dating one of her ex boyfriends. So I took Tonys' advice and thought of what a great friend she has always been to me, and that no guy is worth straining a relationship over.

Well, there are plenty of male fish in the sea after all, and friend and I are now going out tonight to see if we can meet some!!!

Thanks guys