help regarding limping...

Dear all,

I have a 6 month old bunny that I just took to the vet yesterday for a checkup. When my bunny was about to be handed over to the vet's assistant, she freaked out and started jumping all over, eventually getting her legs tied up in a leash we had on her. She let out some loud screams because her legs were all tangled in a leash's line, those lud sounds I never heard before as she hardly makes any noises befe : I'm afraid that she was hurt badly but I don't know how and where. I was very frightened and immediately untangled her legs. I mentioned to the vet this event and also because I noticed that she doesn't use hindlegs now and only her forelegs to walk. The vet examined her and said that no bones were broken. His explanation is that she had underwent a greatdeal of trauma and that sometimes bunnies "freeze up" like this and that I shouldn't be worried.

However, I'm still a bit concerned because it has been 1 day since that accident and she still hasn't been her usual active self. She eats very little and just stays put in her cage. I also notice that one of her nails from one hind leg was bleed a little because it was caught in the leash's line the day before. She still only uses her forelegs to move about, and she doesn't really move around anymore, just sits there in the cage. The hindlegs are underneath her but and not behind her. However, they more widen apart than usual and not directly underneath her body.

I'm writing this because i want to know whether my bunny simply strained her muscles/tendons and will recover soon? If so, how long would it take? If not, what are other possibilites? Paralysis/stroke? Should i get a second professional opinon, and if so, which vet would you recomemend?

Sorry for such a long message. Thank you kindly

This is not a veterinary site.

Go here:

http://pub8.ezboard.com/fdressageforthoroughbredshealthfarrierveterinaryforums

Copy and paste the above address into your browser. Then press GO. All you need to do is register free at the site and then place your question. A lot of professionals in the field frequent that board and you will get some good answers.

In the future, when you have a question that is not related to love, romance or life problems in general, go to: www.google.com which is a very excellent search engine. There you can find information on any subject in the world.

As for your rabbit, it may have been slightly traumatized but I'm sure it will be back to normal in a few days. But check with the experts to be sure. Soft tissue injuries are very hard for a veterinarian to detect, they do not show up on an X-ray, and they have to heal on their own. An opinion from a second vet may result in them putting a hard bandage or splint in the area to prevent further injury and speed healing.

Good luck on getting better answers at another more appropriate forum for this question.

hi mj,

nobody here could give your bunny a proper diagnoses withouth being a vet and without seeing your pet bunny.

if you are worried about the health of your bunny and you are not satisfied with the diagnoses of the vet, then definitely take your bunny to another vet for a second opinion. there is no point hypothesising. you need a professional opinion.

explain to the vet about the bunny getting caught up in a leash. explain about the blood from the nail, and the strange stance of the bunny. explain everything you have posted here.

i remember when i was about 7 or 8 years old, my pet labrador jumped up against a fence (like she always did), but had a very bad limp afterwards. it turned out she had almost ripped one of her claws out and injured her hip. we took her to the vet, had the offending claw removed and her hip healed itself.

by all means, find another vet. if you are not satisfied with the first opinion, seek a second opinion. this is your pet after all, and there are many good vets out there who will perform a thorough examination of your bunny.

best wishes :)