should i help my boyfriend with gas money?

angel eyes

My guy is usually running out of cash because he doesn't make much money out of his work study at school, i happen to make a little bit more but gas prices are geting so high that he runs out of it quickly. he takes me home after work,he picks me up and drop me off after our dates. at this time i'm needing a car but i can't afford one so i decided to give him $15.00 every 2 weeks to help him with the gas, he puts the rest of it.my mom thinks that i shouldn't be doing this that if he wants to take me out he should have gas but i know that his income would not permi it also he pays most of the time when we go out.

am i doing the right thing? he took the money with no problem.

If he's carting you around a lot (which it sounds like he is) you should definitely help him out with gas money. (Especially since you don't have a car, so it's safe to say he drives ALL the time.) You also might consider picking up the tab a little more often when the two of you go out if he's that short on money. You don't say how long you've been together, but I'm of the opinion that once a relationship gets serious it's no longer all the guy's responsibility to pay for dates and the girl should start reciprocating and pay at least a third of the time, preferably half.

Your mom has a valid point, but since he's a student his lack of money is acceptable. (At least to me.) If he was simply too lazy to get a job where he could make more money, I would side with her 100%.

My guy is usually running out of cash because he doesn't make much money out of his work study at school, i happen to make a little bit more but gas prices are geting so high that he runs out of it quickly. he takes me home after work,he picks me up and drop me off after our dates. at this time i'm needing a car but i can't afford one so i decided to give him $15.00 every 2 weeks to help him with the gas, he puts the rest of it.my mom thinks that i shouldn't be doing this that if he wants to take me out he should have gas but i know that his income would not permi it also he pays most of the time when we go out.

am i doing the right thing? he took the money with no problem.

It sounds like your boyfriend does all he can for you. I think it is quite the honorable thing to do to help him with gas money...and in any other way you can. Relationships are two people working together to achieve happiness for the whole.

This is 2001. Keeping score is bunch of bull unless the giving and receiving gets way out of balance. Right now, it actually sounds like your boyfriend gives a lot more to you in the way of entertainment, food, etc. than he gets from you financially.

You need to stop listening to other people and listen to your heart. If your guy was taking advantage of you, that would be one thing. But it sounds like he's doing his very best to be kind and helpful to you. The least you could do is give him this money, without making any kind of a big issue out of it, and insist on cooking at home sometimes instead of going out.

Many young couples struggle early on and make sacrifices together that pay off later on.

He takes the money with no problem because he NEEDS it. I'm sure if he was flush with cash he would have absolutely refused it.