I hate the way my parents make me dress

Hayley14

My parents basically think that the slightest cold weather can get me sick, so they always make me wear so much warm clothing when I don't even need it. My mom and I just went shopping and this is what I had to wear. My first layer was thermal long underwear top and bottom. Over that I wore jeans and a sweater. Then my mom made me put on snow pants, the bib kind with suspenders. Then I had to put on knee high fur lined boots. Next I had to put on a fleece jacket, over that a puffy jacket, and finally a huge winter coat. This coat is so thick and heavy that I struggle to bend my arms in it, and it's so long that it reaches my calves. I also had to wear a toque (hat), a muffler (scarf), a balaclava, my jacket's hood up, and my coat's hood up. I also had to wear thick mittens. Guess what it was only -5c (23F) outside! I'm by far the most bundled up person, and I overheat in all those layers. Plus it's so annoying carrying so much heavy winter gear around when I'm inside and then having to put it all back on.

LOL :lmao: sorry, did you tell them it's too hot? I assume you're 14 base on your user name. Tell them you're not a kid anymore and you can dress yourself.

GunslingerRoland

What would they do with you if you lived in Canada?

Just do what other teenagers do and take off layers after you leave the house.

Although that is tough with the thermal underwear though...

Are you outside for long periods of time? Because maybe you need to explain to them that you are inside for the majority of the day, and it's extremely uncomfortable being overheated.

my mom is still sending me sweaters and gloves and asking if i stay warm. and i left my teens long ago. it means they care about you, so be warm and happy about it.:)

My parents basically think that the slightest cold weather can get me sick, so they always make me wear so much warm clothing when I don't even need it. My mom and I just went shopping and this is what I had to wear. My first layer was thermal long underwear top and bottom. Over that I wore jeans and a sweater. Then my mom made me put on snow pants, the bib kind with suspenders. Then I had to put on knee high fur lined boots. Next I had to put on a fleece jacket, over that a puffy jacket, and finally a huge winter coat. This coat is so thick and heavy that I struggle to bend my arms in it, and it's so long that it reaches my calves. I also had to wear a toque (hat), a muffler (scarf), a balaclava, my jacket's hood up, and my coat's hood up. I also had to wear thick mittens. Guess what it was only -5c (23F) outside! I'm by far the most bundled up person, and I overheat in all those layers. Plus it's so annoying carrying so much heavy winter gear around when I'm inside and then having to put it all back on.

I think she's over doing it and actually just tell her it's making you feel constricted and uncomfortable. you can compromise, wear a coat and hat, gloves but no more double layers. It's not like it's -20 outside!

major_merrick

Back up your position with science! Fact is, not everybody is 98.6 degrees. Some of us are warmer, and some are colder. I'm usually a degree (sometimes two) colder than human "normal." I'm in long sleeves until it is in the 80's. By the time it has hit the freezing point, I look like I went on a polar expedition. My exBF used to run outside barefoot in the snow. People vary!

LivingWaterPlease

Your mom is concerned for your health and safety so use this to your advantage.

Put your thinking cap on and figure out a way that having too much heavy clothing on would put you in a dangerous position. Such as, if a kidnapper tries to abduct you it would be difficult to run away because the heavy clothing you're wearing would weigh you down so you wouldn't be light on your feet. (this is written tongue in cheek, a little humor may catch your mom off guard, but I'm being partly serious, too!) Or you would have trouble escaping a burning building or a car wreck because you couldn't move quickly enough with so many layers of clothing on you. There are many situations in which you'd need to be light on your feet to stay safe.

Remind your mom that because you're young and active you stay very warm without so many layers on. You might even talk with your Dr. about it and explain to her/him what you're going through and have her/him talk with your mom about it. Or have your school counselor talk with your mom about it. She could tell your mom what the average person your age finds comfortable and adequate to wear in cold weather and possibly convince your mom of more appropriate outerwear choices for a young woman of your age.

Edited by LivingWaterPlease

is she going to know what's under the coat? does she watch you put on the thermals??

make sure the outer layer meets with her approval and keep that coat in your room to put over what is comfortable for you. she won't be able to see what's under the coat unless you unbutton it and just make sure it's the whatever she needs to see. what's under that layer she won't be able to see and frankly, it's none of her business.

or

do what i did, "lose" the stuff you don't want to wear. i used to leave my coats in my school locker. they'd give me another one and i'd leave it there as well until i didn't even have room for my books in my locker.

you can put stuff in the trunk of the car, up in the attic, in the shed, behind the washer. use your imagination.

most self respecting teenagers can outfox their parents by the time, well, by the time their ten.

stop letting them control your body. it's your body. and no, i;m sure you don't want to risk getting sick but being out in cold weather doesn't make you sick, being confined with people without proper ventilation, sharing contaminated exhaled air is what gives you germs.

scientific research recommend dressing in two thin layers for insulation and ventilation, under a coat that keeps out the wind.

good luck

• Like 1
healing light

What happens when you have to pee?

Haha, seriously, this is ridiculous. Are you afraid to say no to your mom? I would stress how hot/uncomfortable you are and how it makes you feel like you're going to pass out from heat. And remind her that you have a higher metabolic rate as a teen and overheat easily. This is a boundary issue--I would take stuff off as you're saying it to stress your point. Hopefully she won't physically forcibly make you wear it.

• Author
What happens when you have to pee?

Haha, seriously, this is ridiculous. Are you afraid to say no to your mom? I would stress how hot/uncomfortable you are and how it makes you feel like you're going to pass out from heat. And remind her that you have a higher metabolic rate as a teen and overheat easily. This is a boundary issue--I would take stuff off as you're saying it to stress your point. Hopefully she won't physically forcibly make you wear it.

lol I always go to the bathroom before I get dressed in my winter gear. And I complain to my parents about it all the time, but they still make me wear all that. To be honest I never really say no to my parents.