LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Familial > Parenting

My 12 year old says she doesn't know how to talk to other kids. It's getting worse.

Parenting Discuss tips, concerns, and all the mayhem involved in raising kids.

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd July 2017, 7:01 PM   #16

I've been on both ends of bullying and I can only tell you to move her to another class or even school if you can. What helped me was getting into the gym at the end of my elementary which pushed my confidence,though I ended up in the wrong side of the story and became a bully (which
I regret now).
Luigi1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2017, 7:45 PM   #17
Established Member

She's been changed by the bullying -- but it's your job to see to it that she learns to deal with it or at least ignore it and keep functioning because once she's an adult, no job is going to let her stay home and sleep.

You cannot let her be who decides what programs and activities she goes to. You tell her "You're going to do this, so stop arguing about it." She has to learn to cope and deal with real life. I too was bullied and certainly would love to have just missed school, but that's not how you build social skills to deal with real bullies once you are out in the workforce or an abusive boyfriend or whatever. You can't let her stick her head in the sand.

Stand up for her at school and talk to the school about it, but she has to keep being active or you will have a nonfunctioning adult in a few years.

I would suggest sending her to mild activities for the summer, enroll her in Girl Scouts, where good behavior is expected and rewarded and bullies aren't tolerated, or church camp, or swim class, or a self-defense course, activities at the YWCA. It's your job to tell her what to do here because she does not know what's best for her.