Crazy baseball dad

My husband is a devoted and loving father, but he has some anger issues. This especially comes out at my step son's little league games. He is that guy on the sidelines pacing, swearing and turning red. He shouts embarrassing and sarcastic things to his son on the field and makes demeaning comments about the coach and other kids when they don't do things perfectly. He used to coach, but he got thrown out of games because of his lack of respect. He was a very good athlete in high school and freely admits that he is living vicariously through his son and that he's disappointed in him for not being a better athelete. He is proud that he is a competitive person and expects 100% from everyone. How can I get him to see how hurtful this is to his son? I've tried to talk to him about it but he just makes jokes or says he's better than his dad, who never showed up for his games.

curiouslysearching

This is a classic scenario and it is UGLY TO WATCH....I played

at a much higher level than your husband did and I guess

I have seen most everything there is to see and nothing is

as UGLY as a Dad berating his kid. The whole thing is so

opposite of what should be going on at that level....you would

think that being ASKED to NOT coach would have been a

wake up call but obviously not

• Like 1
curiouslysearching

behavior like you have described can ruin the "the love of the

game" for many young athletes and cause them to eventually

give up playing....

• Like 1
curiouslysearching
Eventually he's going to be asked to leave and not come back.

Sadly, I have seen these types of actions carry on well into the high school level when they are not dealt with at the youth level. Generally, the parent is pushing the youth for a variety of reasons and none of them are GOOD.

I've tried to talk to him about it but he just makes jokes or says he's better than his dad, who never showed up for his games.

Actually, he would be better off emulating his dad and not attending the games as opposed to showing up and embarrassing everyone involved. I'd guess the baseball field isn't the only place he exhibits this jerkish behavior.

What does "some anger issues" mean?

Mr. Lucky

• Like 1
RecentChange

So he can't act like a grown up and behave himself?

Then he should stay home.

The game is NOT ABOUT HIM. He needs to stop being so self centered and making it about him. He had his chance, his ship has sailed.

Jerks like this ruin the game for EVERYONE. If I were another parent, I would ask that he be barred from attending.

Can't you tell him his behavior is embarring and unacceptable? Does he really want to be an embarrassment to your family? Because that is what he is by the actions he chooses.

He needs to learn how to control his anger, this isn't preschool

• Like 1
curiouslysearching

The game is NOT ABOUT HIM. He needs to stop being so self centered and making it about him. He had his chance, his ship has sailed.

Jerks like this ruin the game for EVERYONE. If I were another parent, I would ask that he be barred from attending.

Can't you tell him his behavior is embarring and unacceptable? Does he really want to be an embarrassment to your family? Because that is what he is by the actions he chooses.

it really is an ugly side to sports a very ugly side and literally goes on

across the country

curiouslysearching

RC, I agree with you wholeheartedly....one interesting thing to think about is that MOST people have ZERO idea what it takes to be an accomplished athlete.....for example, a good high school player really does not know

what it takes to be a successful collegiate athlete (until they get to that level)

so many have this narrow view of WOW MY KID IS AWESOME and truly have no idea what it takes to be HIGHLY successful....the take away should be to JUST ENJOY these times watching your kids or relatives play are so fleeting that you are silly to mar with bad behavior or unrealistic expectations

• Like 2
RC, I agree with you wholeheartedly....one interesting thing to think about is that MOST people have ZERO idea what it takes to be an accomplished athlete.....for example, a good high school player really does not know

what it takes to be a successful collegiate athlete (until they get to that level)

so many have this narrow view of WOW MY KID IS AWESOME and truly have no idea what it takes to be HIGHLY successful....the take away should be to JUST ENJOY these times watching your kids or relatives play are so fleeting that you are silly to mar with bad behavior or unrealistic expectations

Agreed. I was a very good high school baseball player, all-city recognition on a championship team. Then I got to college and saw what a REAL athlete looked like, guys blessed with natural speed and power in ways I could only imagine.

I started paying closer attention in math class, pretty apparent my future wasn't on the field...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 1
curiouslysearching
Agreed. I was a very good high school baseball player, all-city recognition on a championship team. Then I got to college and saw what a REAL athlete looked like, guys blessed with natural speed and power in ways I could only imagine.

I started paying closer attention in math class, pretty apparent my future wasn't on the field...

Mr. Lucky

MrL, your post is dead on. I have played at a higher level and you are

right that the athletes get bigger, faster, stronger and much more skilled.

I will say this that at this level parents have VERY little input....it is about

winning and losing.

Under, maybe you could have a chat with the team coach or manager, and ask them to have a word with your husband, get them to say that some of the parents (ie:you) have complained about his behaviour and if it doesn't change he will be banned from attending.

curiouslysearching
Under, maybe you could have a chat with the team coach or manager, and ask them to have a word with your husband, get them to say that some of the parents (ie:you) have complained about his behaviour and if it doesn't change he will be banned from attending.

Nothing worse than parents yelling from the stands at their kids while they

are playing ball.......RIDICULOUS

Here is my take on it....and its probably unpopular, but its a way to potentially let him see that what he is doing just makes no sense...

If your stepson was truly on the verge of being the next Derek Jeter, or even a viable pro prospect, then I could almost see being demanding of his play/effort...Most athletes that are destined for a pro career make their presence known very early...Most are head and shoulders better than the other kids...They get noticed early on....

Because you didn't say that he was a prodigy or anything, I can assume that your stepson is just another kid playing the game and would never get a whiff of the pros...That's terrific, but that makes the behavior of the father pretty pointless..

If that's the case,. and my assumption is correct, then this should be easy to resolve..Ask him why he would do all of this, when its probably 99& likely that he wont even be playing in a couple of years...or if he is, it will be for little more that sportsmanship and recreation?...At that point, the person screaming and pacing on the sidelines just looks like a jackass...(don't tell him that part, lol)..

I was an accomplished HS athlete, so I get this...And my dad never bothered to even go to the games/matches , even though I was one of the teams stars..But people spend way too much time, effort, and money, and put way too much stress on their kids, when in reality, they aren't going to really do anything with it...Time and money would have been far better spent on other life pursuits that will better help the childs development as he/she moves on to adulthood.,.

Good luck with it...

curiouslysearching
Here is my take on it....and its probably unpopular, but its a way to potentially let him see that what he is doing just makes no sense...

If your stepson was truly on the verge of being the next Derek Jeter, or even a viable pro prospect, then I could almost see being demanding of his play/effort...Most athletes that are destined for a pro career make their presence known very early...Most are head and shoulders better than the other kids...They get noticed early on....

Because you didn't say that he was a prodigy or anything, I can assume that your stepson is just another kid playing the game and would never get a whiff of the pros...That's terrific, but that makes the behavior of the father pretty pointless..

If that's the case,. and my assumption is correct, then this should be easy to resolve..Ask him why he would do all of this, when its probably 99& likely that he wont even be playing in a couple of years...or if he is, it will be for little more that sportsmanship and recreation?...At that point, the person screaming and pacing on the sidelines just looks like a jackass...(don't tell him that part, lol)..

I was an accomplished HS athlete, so I get this...And my dad never bothered to even go to the games/matches , even though I was one of the teams stars..But people spend way too much time, effort, and money, and put way too much stress on their kids, when in reality, they aren't going to really do anything with it...Time and money would have been far better spent on other life pursuits that will better help the childs development as he/she moves on to adulthood.,.

Good luck with it...

BFH, I enjoyed your post. I just think some parents carry it way way too far.

Like I mentioned previously, I played a level beyond HS and thought that I had virtually seen it all but I am amazed monthly how athletics as a whole have changed. It seems everyone has a private instructor regardless of the sport and that everyone thinks they are going PRO. Trust me it is not easy to even play past HS these days. I really wish PEOPLE/parents/athletes etc would just enjoy the various games and treasure the times that they have.