Feeling replaced...

Californiakidz

Californiakidz

So last year me and my ex broke up and we have a 20 month old daughter together who I love very much. Lately I have been having a hard time dealing with the fact that my ex's new boyfriend gets to spend as much time and maybe even more with my daughter than I do. I guess my fear is that since my daughter is so young that she will grow up more attatched to him than she will with me because he is around her more. Has anyone gone through anything similar? Any strategies to help get over these feelings or at least cope with it better? No matter what I know that I need to be strong for my daughter.

If a child has two loving and supportive biological parents available and the same type of step parent, they will always gravitate towards the biological one. If the biological one is not the parent that the step parent is, they will gravitate towards the step parent.

Unless you are dealing with parent alienation I wouldn't be concerned.

As the biological parent, you will always have the upper hand as long as you fill your parenting shoes well.

A child can never have too much love and support in their life. It's a good think she has several supportive adults. His place in her life doesn't negate yours, it just enhances her. Thinking of it that way may help.