Teen age boys running roughshod over me

teenage boys are running rough shot over me. They bring their friends over without asking, won't go out and find a summer job, ( actually the college bound son is working 1 day a week)won't do any anything....household shores, i. e. Pick up after themselves..Nothing!!

They take my car keys, stay up late, constantly being asked for money.

When I say anything to the oldest son, he replies you're making me Angry!!

Ok, just my two cents but I've faced similar things with both my preteen and teenage daughters and my GF's preteen sons. Basically the only advice I have is that it is time to stop being their friend and time to be their parent. What I had to do was lay down very specific expectations of the do's and the don'ts. Explain to them what the penalty was for not meeting those expectations. And then discipline like a mo-fo. You have to find their "currency". What is it that they value? For my girls it is access to electronics and then not doing extra chores. For my GF boys it was access to phones and skateboards.

You have to be extremely strict in your enforcement of these penalties. You have to establish that you're the boss and if they break the rules there will be consequences. You can't be talked out of it. Lastly, your decisions are final and if they keep on bugging your about it or whining, there will be even more consequences. It is like breaking a horse. It sucks for about 2 - 3 weeks and then they get it.

With penalties, always have penalties that you're willing to follow through on.

• Like 1

Do you give them money? Do you pick up after them? If they are taking the car, why do you leave the keys out? If that was me, I would tell them the next time they take the car without permission, I am going to call the cops and actually follow through on that threat if need be.

Are they otherwise good kids? Good grades? Not doing drugs? etc?

• Like 1
GunslingerRoland

Teenagers don't get part time jobs because they love working, they do it because they need money. If your kids are going out they obviously have money, which means you are giving them way too much. Especially given the way they are acting. Take away the money, take away the car keys. See how their song changes.

• Like 1
Lois_Griffin

Ok...so you've raised a bunch of self-indulged lazy brats who don't have a lick of respect for you or your home. And for that, you continually REWARD their disgusting behavior by not making them do chores or get a job, and handing them money and car keys whenever they demand it.

Got it.

What was the question again?

• Like 1
Art_Critic

Start changing over the responsibilities that they have to them.. for example, their cell phone bill.. put it in their name and get yours off it.. car insurance..

School is your responsibility but you don't have to pay for all of their food.. just pay for the bare minimum and let them pay for the rest.

Teenagers don't just accept responsibility without it being given to them first.

• Like 1