Introducing your SO's children and your children

This seems so simple and easy, but I cannot figure out how to introduce my daughter (22) and her family (boyfriend & 18-month-old daughter) to my SO's children (16-year-old son & 26-year-old daughter, her husband, and her 9-year-old daughter). Can't be at my house because I have a sick dog that the children need not be around. I'm trying to find something age appropriate for both children, where we can all linger and chat at least some. Maybe introduce the grown children first, and the grandchildren later? But not necessarily. Could someone help me see the forest in all these trees please? I know this should not be so difficult. Thanks!

coolheadal

Place your sick dog in a room away from everyone close or lock the door so they don't go near that dog. That dog doesn't need to be stressed out even more. You have everyone so tensed there. Relax just have them all in one room and let them all get to know each other. There isn't really much else you can do with a gathering they have to meet sometime why not let them do it now or the sooner the better.

Ask a friend to take the sick dog for the night or organise an day/evening/ night at the vets if he/she really is that sick and needs 24hr care, or if the dog is terminally ill, wait until he/she dies. (sorry!, but just being practical).

YOU could also hire a small room in a restaurant or hotel, or arrange a day out at the zoo or at an event so that you all get an opportunity to mix but there is also something to talk about if the silences get awkward.

You all go play pool or bowling. It's fun and it's for all ages. It's a relaxing activity and you don't have to sit around looking at each other. That's how I introduced my daughter to my ex-boyfriend.

Don't put your sick dog in a room or somewhere else. It's just more stress for him. He's sick he deserves to be home quiet.

Edited by Gaeta
  • Like 1
startingagain15

Do they all want to meet each other? Seems like they are at ages where meeting the SO's older children isn't really a big part of a relationship? But if they all want to meet, how about a picnic at a local park or reserve a room at a restaurant?

• Author

Thank you for the ideas! They sound great - yes, to have something to do besides sitting & looking at each other through any awkward silences, is perfect.

Yes, they do want to meet each other. It's doubtful we'll have big joint Christmases, etc., as they all have their own places to go and people to see during holidays, but I think they do want to get an idea of what kind of people their respective parents are spending time with. We're thinking they'll hit it off pretty well. Just gotta get them all together and find out.

Thanks!

Well how about a nice BBQ or picnic outside? The weather is getting nice, the grandchildren have tons of space to play and usually the guys will gather around the grill and bond, everyone can have a nice drink, relax.

I don't know why but being outside is rarely a tense atmosphere as sitting around in the living room can be.

• Like 4