children 19 years apart

newmoon

my friend and his wife just had a baby 19 years after their first. she is 35, he is 37, their first children were fraternal twins and born when they were teens. they have been together all this time and always knew they eventually wanted another child. they just sent their son and daughter off to college in august. they just raised 2 children into adulthood and now they are starting all over... so, wondering... do marriages/couples that have children so far spread apart tend to be stronger/better? or do marriages not often survive another baby this late after the first?

It has its challenges; their liberty is seriously curtailed, and they're now tied to yet another young, helpless, totally dependent human being who they have to nurture, raise, educate and supervise for the next 18 years.

That's - a challenge.

But, they're only doing what many of their contemporaries are also doing; starting out on a new path as a family.

They've got challenges, but also rewards.

• Like 1

Unless they have financial issues, I would think it would make things easier. Especially since it seems they both wanted another child and they're both still young. Why would it be a problem? Are you hoping their marriage will end for some reason?

GunslingerRoland

I know a few successful relationships that have kids around that far apart. I think the simple fact that they've already raised 2 children to adulthood and still want to be together and have kids together is a pretty good sign their relationship is rock solid though.

The crazy thing, is that they aren't even old having another kid now. A lot of people don't have their first till that age these days.

• Like 1

My grandparents had kids 11 years apart. Sure, they had kids in between, but the oldest was around 12 when the last was born.

I am 7 years older than my younger brother.

My ex-H was 7 years younger than his sister.

My MiL was 14 years younger than her older sister....

I don't think the gap is as much of an issue as the method and atmosphere of upbringing....

do marriages/couples that have children so far spread apart tend to be stronger/better? or do marriages not often survive another baby this late after the first?

i don't think it makes any difference - also; they were SUPER YOUNG when they had their first kids... so 35 & 37 is a really nice age (they're still young) to have another child. you're more mature and you know what to expect + you can enjoy the parenthood so much more; you know what to appreciate.

so yeah - i think it will make them stronger & even happier. to repeat - they're still REALLY young.

• Like 1
  • Author
I know a few successful relationships that have kids around that far apart. I think the simple fact that they've already raised 2 children to adulthood and still want to be together and have kids together is a pretty good sign their relationship is rock solid though.

The crazy thing, is that they aren't even old having another kid now. A lot of people don't have their first till that age these days.

yeah, which is what i find fascinating. i mean, they could really start a whole new family. given her age - especially - more children are a possibility. and if they didn't have another child this one would really be an 'only child,' given the huge age spread. it's kinda cool, but really a life-changer