How would i deal with irresponsible father of my son

We seperated four years ago and he remarried. He doesn't visit his son anymore, he doesn't know what he eats and he claim that he is the father. What is the right way to deal with such case?

First, a couple of questions:

How old is your son?

What are the custody arrangements for your son?

Are you getting child support from the father?

If I were you, I'd seek to have permanent sole physical & legal custody of your son.

I would also consider termination of his parental rights, but that would mean you wouldn't be able to get child support from him.

• Author

Thank you Tuna for your response. To answer you I have the full custody of my son because in our community where I come from if a man has not paid the bride price he doesn't own that lady. Our marriage was a come we stay kind of which he promised he gonna pay the price but he didn't. . He do pay the school fee and that's the only support I get from him.

You can't make anyone do something they don't want to do.

You need to accept that the father is out of the picture and do your best to raise your son alone. You should provide positive male role models for him (a brother? your own father?). Refrain from bad-mouthing the deadbeat dad to your son, he'll realize in his own time who really cares for him, loves him and provides for him.

I've managed to raise 2 boys on my own, with no financial or practical support from the dad. You can do it too.

Roz,

You can only continue to do the best by your son. If his dad chooses not to be involved in his life, there is nothing you can do.

Do his paternal grandparents know of his existence?

Are you from West Africa by any chance?

Mrs. Trishern

• Like 1
  • Author

Hey Mrs Trishern, both families knows of his existence, but on his side his both parents are past gone.. Am not from Western Africa my friend. Thank you for response.