Parenting and 40 Hr Work Weeks

optomistic_nonsense

optomistic_nonsense

No thank you. That's about all I have to say to that.

So, my husband and I due to have a baby in Sept. He and I are both currently working 40 hrs a week (and have a 5 year old too), making it difficult as is with just the one come summer time when all-day-kindergarten is no longer in session.

So, I've decided to make the leap of faith and jump ship from the workforce. Although I am in the process of obtaining my real estate license and going down that path, my 40 hr work week is about to cease.

The cost of daycare, IMO, is just not worth me basically handing over a paycheck of mine for someone else to raise my kid. I just cannot justify it. I am working 40 hrs a week, to get a paycheck in which I am literally handing over to a childcare worker. Yes, my 2nd paycheck of the month will be able to go to something OTHER than childcare....but I just don't think it's even worth it.

Has anyone else done this? Quit the full-time job in order to care for your own child? I feel like I missed out on a LOT with my 5 year old son by working FT. Not willing to deal with it again.

Congrats on this decision! Hopefully it wasn't entirely about shelling out the money so much as wanting those younger years for bonding and being there.

A Co worker of mine is the opposite, she cringes at the thought of being a stay at home parent. Its definitely harder work then a paying job!

As a single parent I didn't have that luxury, and I regret so many lost moments.

I sincerely wish you good memories and healthy kids. You are doing what is right for you and your lifestyle. May your kids know what a great mom you are!

• Like 1
thefooloftheyear
No thank you. That's about all I have to say to that.

So, my husband and I due to have a baby in Sept. He and I are both currently working 40 hrs a week (and have a 5 year old too), making it difficult as is with just the one come summer time when all-day-kindergarten is no longer in session.

So, I've decided to make the leap of faith and jump ship from the workforce. Although I am in the process of obtaining my real estate license and going down that path, my 40 hr work week is about to cease.

The cost of daycare, IMO, is just not worth me basically handing over a paycheck of mine for someone else to raise my kid. I just cannot justify it. I am working 40 hrs a week, to get a paycheck in which I am literally handing over to a childcare worker. Yes, my 2nd paycheck of the month will be able to go to something OTHER than childcare....but I just don't think it's even worth it.

Has anyone else done this? Quit the full-time job in order to care for your own child? I feel like I missed out on a LOT with my 5 year old son by working FT. Not willing to deal with it again.

Good for you....you are doing the right thing...

Don't let the detractors sway you....They'll tell you such nonsense that daycare is better because your kid gets to socialize, blah..blah...

No one has ever watched my daughter except her direct family..She hasn't spent a single day in the hands of a stranger..Great kid in all respects...No issues..

Make no mistake, its a tremendous investment/sacrifice...There are likely stuff you all may have to do without...But it will be worth it!!

TFY

• Like 1

To me, the idea of leaving home and spending 24 hours around raising kids would drive me crazy. I guess that's why I won't be having kids, because the cost of day care is also outrageous, so there doesn't seem to be many other options. But I agree, parenting and working full time would be difficult. My coworker just had her 4th baby and returned to work this week full time. She does have a nanny at home during the day, but it still sounds stressful.

• Like 2
I feel like I missed out on a LOT with my 5 year old son by working FT. Not willing to deal with it again.

There is no price you can put on those early-development years. All those milestone events only happen ONCE and we determined early on, with each of our 3 kids, that only my wife or I would be there for them. No strangers need apply.

And it does take commitment and sacrifice. We were so poor one year that only the turkey we received from Catholic Charities put food on our holiday table. And yet never lost the faith, wouldn't change a thing ;) ...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 3

I did it too. No regrets, so worth it. :)

Keep in mind that realtors work odd hours, always on call.

Good luck and congrats!

mercuryshadow

My son is now ten, and I worked full time until this past September. I looked back and realized how much I had missed! I was also handing over a good portion of my pay to have strangers "watch" him, and the prices do not get much better once kids are in school and the daycare for extended hours is school affiliated. I was also ready to throw in the towel in regard to working for the government. I was vested, but I was also stuck (no raises, no promotions...it was just a volatile situation all around). So, I decided to resume the schooling I'd begun 11 years ago in the health sciences field. I was able to schedule my classes so that I could be home for my son every afternoon. I couldn't be happier with this arrangement. Financially, you have to take a tighter hold of the budget and make sure you have enough in the bank for a few months' worth of support just in case, but it is doable, and the extra time with your children is priceless. :)