Anyone familiar with DCS?

Does anyone know how it works? Do they investigate all resources possible? Do they take into consideration how a child is being fed, whether their clothes are clean or not? Whether there's functioning plumbing in the home? Children being left home alone? Do they ask questions and just "believe" the parents answers? They interview the child too, right? Does anyone have any info on this?

I know someone that may need some help. But I'm not for sure if it's a case for DCS. Our office has called DHS on a patient before, all they did was ask for our name, an explanation and they put it on their list to do. The lady dies a few weeks later...really sad. Do they tell you who requested the investigation?

My aunt works for a similar organization run by the State of Nebraska.

She goes in and investigates how clean the house is, whether there is food in the house, childs clothing (whether it is torn, dirty)...also, the children, whether they look malnurished, yada yada yada.

From what she tells me, her office does take down the name of the person recording it in the event that there is a trial...but I don't know about your state...

Hope things turn out well!

• Author

Thanks imjustagirl :)

I wonder what happens if the conditions are unfit? Where do the children go? Or do they just warn the parents?

I don't think this situation is as bad as what it could be. I saw on the local news this morning that they cracked down on a horrible case....the kid had roaches in his ears. :sick: I've had to ear lavage one of those suckers out of a patient's ear before and that's nas-tay. :sick:

I know in some cases, either the children are given temporarily to the state or put in custody of a responsible relative....my aunt says in most of the cases, they go to a relative. Most of the time, depending on the severity of the situtation, they're given a "heads-up" warning.

Sometimes this backfires, and the family just picks up and leaves...other times, they use the resources my aunt gives them to straighten up their lives. In the most extreme instance...the kids are removed permanetly from the household and parents have given up parental rights (I know this has only happened in a handful of cases).

Hope this helps...

~justa~

• Author

Thanks again for your time. I don't think this situation is that extreme, but I guess you never know. Thanks for the info. :)

Complaint:

There are too many abbreviations here floating around. ADD, STD, UTI, DCS, etc. I know this little brainy can figure them out after a while, but stiiiiill..... :o

• Author
Originally posted by kooky

Complaint:

There are too many abbreviations here floating around. ADD, STD, UTI, DCS, etc. I know this little brainy can figure them out after a while, but stiiiiill..... :o

Sorry kooky. :o DCS is really common here.

DCS = Department of Children Services

DHS = Department of Human Services

ADD = Attention Deficit Disorder

UTI = Urinary Tract infection

STD = Sexually Transmitted Disease

HPV = Human Papillomavirus

Hope that sheds some light. Of course, you've probably already figured those out by now. :)

I had to be investigated by DCF (department of child & Families) because i called the department on my son's father for drug use in his home so they had to investigate me as well as my son's father.

they went to his school and talked to him, talked to his teachers at daycare, checked his medical records to make sure I was getting him proper health care. checked his closets to make sure he had proper clothes and looked in my kitchen to make sure we had food. then I never talked to them again.

On the other hand his father didn't coroperate and they had a priviate investigator follow him around, long story short the state took his rights away. DCF is nobody to skrew with, but if you are a good parent they can tell

• Author

Hey, wait a minute kooky, you were the one with "GRE" :lmao: ...I was like WTF?! I know you know what WTF means, right? :confused:

Thanks, tiky :) I thought everybody who goes to college knows it, that´s why I put it up. Isn´t that the usual test apart from the GMAT for going to graduate school?

BTW, FYI, I know what WTH means :laugh:

• Author

Kooky, I think I've been in college half my life. I've never heard of it, but I've never checked into grad school. :laugh: Grad school - out of my league, baby!

tiki, now you scare me..... Is it not normal? I mean, I guess, it´s also not that common here for people who graduate, but I guess, many people who started with me are pursuing a Ph. D. now and I don´t think they are that awfully smart.

Good luck...My fiance has been dealing with a situation like this with his children for ages...The ex-wife abandoned his kids for 12 hours at a sitters (after saying I'll be back in 30 minutes), the kids have little food, are physically abused by his exwife AND her boyfriend (2 have been taken to the hospital) plus the children (ages 9, 5, and 7) come home from school and are left alone for hours, locked out of their home. Apparently DEFACS and the local police in Georgia thinks all of this is no big deal.

I don't get it.

I've had some contact working with them when I worked as counselor. Probably varies from state to state and may vary some depending on person. Generally, even if the kids are removed there is a plan by which they can be returned (like parent goes thru drug rehab, parenting classes, counseling, etc). While they are away they stay at foster care, other family, or sometimes group/tx facilities.

One thing that you can do here and (?I assume) where you are is to call in and say I know of a situation but I'm not sure it's reportable. They will give you their advice on whether it is something they typically would look into.

I understand your hesitation. Sometimes its necessary and important to report but its hard on the family involved no matter how you do it.

jackieq

• 3 weeks later...

Great posts...just an additional note...the reporting party can remain anonymous. Even if the family does end up in Court, the reporting party can not be disclosed / identified...it is a federal law, so it applies in all the states.

Also, I believe it is a federal mandate to seek relative homes for the children to minimize the trauma on the children and family. The relatives have to go through the same screening process a foster home to be certified (i.e. home evaluation, extensive background check, etc.).

Just my two cents... :D