My Mum and Bills

dragonfire13

So, my cheapest internet option available was one that includes a landline. I don't use the landline because I have get lots of minutes though my mobile phone deal, and if I ever need to ring 0800 (free from landline) or 0845 (NOT free from landlines) numbers, I search for their geographical number listed on "Say No to 0870", and then use the minutes from my mobile.

I get a letter through the post today from my broadband provider saying they're hiking up the price of the line rental, plus how much it costs to make a call.

My mum's been using the landline to make phone calls which has been added to my monthly bill. I've let it slide because it's petty...but I've noticed the bill keeps going up each month. Now, with these ridiculous price hikes, two months into a contract with them no less, I've pulled the landline out because 1) I'm not paying extra for an unjustified price hike and 2) I'm not the one making the calls.

I haven't bothered to explain all this to my mum, because I end up getting frustrated trying to explain such things, and then she bitches to my siblings about how cheap I am. I don't view it as cheap, I just don't like wasting money especially when I'm unemployed looking for a job. I'll probably just tell her I've cancelled.

The annoying thing is, when I set it up I asked her if I should add unlimited calls to the package for an extra fiver...she said "no, I'll barely use the phone". :rolleyes:

I wouldn't mind if they hadn't hiked up these call prices. I have an option to cancel but it's still the cheapest deal out there, bar the extra call costs my mum may/may not make.

Reasonable? Or petty?

Who lives with who? Whose name is the bill in? If you're paying the bill, you have a right to put your foot down and tell mom she needs to get the land line in her own name. I don't think you're being petty considering you're out of work and cannot afford to take on the extra cost.

• Like 1
  • Author

Hey thanks for the reply! Surprisingly, I've managed to talk to her about it - I told her about the price hike and she said she'll just use the landline for emergencies so it's all good :-)

The main issue was the price hike tbh, which came out of the blue and two months into me being a customer... the service provider have been in the news as they've apparently raised tariffs 6% above inflation. What a joke!

• Like 1

Its certainly not petty to be thrifty.

Be upfront with your reasoning and share with her your view. Her actions in the fore telling months will be an indicator if she is respecting your wishes. Most adults can come to a reasonable and suitable agreement to the goal. Saving money when inflation occurs is a group effort sometimes. Stick to your reasonings. They are sound.

• Like 1

Make sure you put methods in place to protect yourself....years ago my mom and little brother ran up my bill to like $1K, and I didn't find out till after I kicked them out.

• Author

Gloria25 ouch! I guess you can't always rely on family members to be considerate. Yeah, I am going to have to monitor it as when I confronted her about the bill, she said she didn't realise it was a premium rate number. If it continues, Ill just unplug the landline.

Tayla, thanks for the feedback - definitely reassuring that this is an issue worth confronting. I try not to be too stingy but it's just money going down the drain. Even if I were employed, it'd pee me off.

Gloria25 ouch! I guess you can't always rely on family members to be considerate. Yeah, I am going to have to monitor it as when I confronted her about the bill, she said she didn't realise it was a premium rate number. If it continues, Ill just unplug the landline.

Tayla, thanks for the feedback - definitely reassuring that this is an issue worth confronting. I try not to be too stingy but it's just money going down the drain. Even if I were employed, it'd pee me off.

Well, I think sometimes family members get abusive cuz they think cuz they're "family" you owe them or something...but funny how this indebtedness to family only swings in one direction (in their minds).

Is it still an option to add unlimited calls for an extra fiver? If so, add it and ask mum to pay the extra fiver.:)