This might be the wrong place to post but my mom and I cant figure out financial aid

skimo96

First off, I'm posting this here because Im looking for the advice of parents or someone who has gone through this before. Im 18 and a freshman in college and to be honest I don't know the first thing about financial aid or student loans or any of that. My mom has always handled that stuff. And as far as Im aware we have taken out little to no loans for my freshman year. Long story short, I'm looking into some student apartments off campus for the 2015 school year. they are $599 a month (including utilities, cable, internet and such). The thing is, I know my parents can't swing paying that much. And I know that I cant either. So what do I do? In all actuality thats about the same price as it is to live on campus, so I'm not sure why it would be any different than what Im paying now. My mom is completely freaking out saying that we couldnt possibly pay that much...but its literately the same price. Does financial aid not cover things off campus? I'm just generally confused. I'll probably go to a financial aid office sometimes this week but i just want some opinions of people who might have experienced this. Thanks!!

• Author
skimo96,

Ever thought about getting a job ?:rolleyes:

Of course! I plan on getting a job. I have a summer job, and I'll more than likely be getting one close to campus next year. But Im not going to kill myself working, I barely have enough time now to get done what I need to do. So obviously a job will help, but I somehow doubt that I'll be working enough hours to pay $600 for rent and then but food too.

Edited by skimo96

skimo96,

you seem to have gone into this quite ill-prepared.

However, the only solutions I can suggest is that you

1. take a "gap year" out, work and save some money

2. look for somewhere cheaper to live ( do you really need cable ??)

3. look at sharing with others to split expenses.

I can't advise you about student loans as I live in UK.

If you have grants and scholarships that are directed to your school, expect those to be reduced if you move off campus. Off campus housing would not be covered.

If you are getting by right now with little or no loans, why rock the boat and cause your family or yourself financial hardship? It may not be what you wanted but the 4 years will go by faster than you think.

Be happy that you don't have to worry. Not everyone can be in your situation. Most young adults spend years and years after they graduate paying off thousands of dollars worth of loans and continue working like a dog to make ends meet. Sounds like you have it smooth and are looking for some excitement but it comes with a cost.

Do your mom a favor and stay on campus for now. Living on your own doesn't just mean $599 rent there are other living expenses involved so it will be even more expensive.

I have two kids and one is in their first year of college as well. We don't qualify for financial aid and he has no grants or scholarships. I pay out of my own pocket and the school is nearby so he doesn't live there. He has his own car and works as a server in a popular restaurant chain to help pay for books and gas. This is how we help each other pockets.

Hope you make the right choice.

Edited by jnel921

Do you really think it would cost the same to live off-campus compared to living on-campus? Have you taken into account food, gas, parking, and car expenses?

If the costs really are comparable your mother may have another reason to not want you living off-campus. Ask her about that.

• Like 1

Unless you are in activities you should have ample time to work enough to cover $600/mo.

Time management and being prepared is the key. Look into work studies there on campus. And oh yeah stay on campus. On the outside it may seem cheaper to live off campus but with food and transport the costs add up quickly. Avoid loans you don't have to take, moving off campus isn't a need so the loan should be avoided.

• Like 1

Man, I would breakdance if I could find rent that cheap for an apartment. Where I used to live, a one bedroom was $1600+. Where we moved it's around $900-1000. It seemed like financial aid was only for on campus living, but when I received financial aid, it barely covered school expenses, let alone living expenses. I say either get a job or find a roommate whom you can split the rent with.

The likely cheapest answer to to go to school and live at home. Maybe just for the first year or two until you can save enough money for living expenses. Also, here is a good place to start for looking at financial aid. (If you're in the U.S.)

https://fafsa.ed.gov