A video we didn't want our 4 year old to see

SarahBovard

A few months ago my husband and I attended a "food fight party" photo shoot event organized by one of our photographer friends who enjoys setting up off the wall shoots. It was by far the most wild and crazy thing either of us had ever done.

We dropped our 4 year old son at the baby sitter and proceeded to indulge in an evening of messy mayhem, shedding all adult responsibility for a few hours. We threw pies at each other, smashed cakes, threw eggs, had ketchup and mustard wars, took turns dumping chocolate syrup, baked beans and Spaghetti-O's over each other's heads, and played in kiddie pools filled with chocolate pudding, Jello and mashed potatoes. As you can imagine, it was a total mess and everyone got covered from head to foot.

We shared some of the wacky photos with friends but this really wasn't something we wanted our child to see. Unfortunately, yesterday I found him watching a video from the event which had been e mailed to us. The look on his face was a mixture of shock, confusion and horror. "Why did you do that?" was basically his question. I tried to explain that mommy and daddy like to do silly things once in a while. I made sure he understood that everyone was having fun and that normally throwing food is not OK.

I think seeing us doing something so crazy and irresponsible was what upset him. Is there anything else we should say?

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
Lurkeraspect
A few months ago my husband and I attended a "food fight party" photo shoot event organized by one of our photographer friends who enjoys setting up off the wall shoots. It was by far the most wild and crazy thing either of us had ever done.

We dropped our 4 year old son at the baby sitter and proceeded to indulge in an evening of messy mayhem, shedding all adult responsibility for a few hours. We threw pies at each other, smashed cakes, threw eggs, had ketchup and mustard wars, took turns dumping chocolate syrup, baked beans and Spaghetti-O's over each other's heads, and played in kiddie pools filled with chocolate pudding, Jello and mashed potatoes. As you can imagine, it was a total mess and everyone got covered from head to foot.

We shared some of the wacky photos with friends but this really wasn't something we wanted our child to see. Unfortunately, yesterday I found him watching a video from the event which had been e mailed to us. The look on his face was a mixture of shock, confusion and horror. "Why did you do that?" was basically his question. I tried to explain that mommy and daddy like to do silly things once in a while. I made sure he understood that everyone was having fun and that normally throwing food is not OK.

I think seeing us doing something so crazy and irresponsible was what upset him. Is there anything else we should say?

He's 4. If you'd have just changed the subject, moved him to another activity, it would have been over. He's not going to remember the pictures or be scarred for life.

Otherwise, I guess I'm impressed a four year old can get into your email, open an attachment and flip through pictures or watch a video. Perhaps password protect your devices in the future.

Edited by Lurkeraspect
  • Author

Yeah, we were pretty careless about leaving the the page open on the computer. Unfortunately I don't think the image of adults shrieking with laughter while getting buckets of baked beans dumped over their head is something a child will forget anytime soon. I'm sure eventually, as he gets older, he'll think it was as funny as we do.

• Author

Yes, it was awesome. At first we were both pretty nervous and hesitant to participate, but we had a blast. Definitely not something you get to do everyday.

• Author

Lol..No it wasn't THAT type of photo shoot! We were all wearing swimsuits or shorts. I think it was just the craziness of mommy and daddy dumping food on each other while people cheered and screamed that upset him. Luckily he hasn't said any more about it.

Only if it comes up again in the course of normal day-to-day. Then just say, "Mommy and daddy made a mistake but we're going to learn from it and we won't do that again."

You’re right to be thinking about your son’s reaction - sounds like you guys had some real fun! I would encourage you to take this incident as a place to begin the discussion about fun in life (which it sounds like you already did…). My advice for you is don’t forget to lock your computer the next time. Thanks for sharing your story with us!

@itsok2bk2o