Nursing While Under The Influence

I'm curious to know what are your thoughts on a mother who recently gives birth and who nurses her baby while drinking alcohol.

Is it wrong?

Is it right for the authorities to take the baby away? Or at least give the mother several chances to get help to become sober?

The mother believes the authorities are over reacting and unfairly attacking her. The authorities made it their business when the mother repeatedly checked herself into the hospital due alcohol blood poisoning.

She believes the government has her in a conspiracy. Could she be right? She has proof the government targets new mothers in attempt to take their kids away from them.

Edited by Tressugar

Here's what the Le Leche League has to say about it:

LLLI | FAQ on Alcohol

IMO, as with everything in life, moderation is key.

If you have an article to support the actions of authorities here, linking to it would be helpful. LEO's generally don't bust down doors on nursing mother's homes to do BAC tests so perhaps more information would be helpful.

• Like 1

How old is the infant?

How much does the mother drink?

If it does enter the milk, there's a small amount that would enter which can inhibit the infant's development and harm it's liver.

At least in the first 3 months of the infant's life, it should be very limited or none at all.

It's uncertain just how much it affects the baby but it's just a precaution.

If she wants to drink at least wait until the body's clear of alcohol to nurse and to limit herself.

Well anyone, Mother or Father who is having an early morning snifter while in charge of a baby is selfish. If i picked up my kids sloshed from school i would be hung. There is a time and place for imbibing and with your baby is not one of them.

• Like 2
  • Author

Well She had checked herself into the hospital 6 times within a two week time period for dehydration due to blood alcohol poisoning. While being questioned she had readily admitted that she just gave birth and is nursing her child which probably was cause for the dehydration.

The Hospital determined that her blood alcohol was three times the limit with each admittance into the hospital. The hospital in turned contacted the authorities to remove the child out of the home and to have tests ran on the newborn.

This is the link she provided as evidence: MassOutrage | DCF Dirty Tricks

Edited by Tressugar

This looks like a worrying agency you have there. But if and IF she was over the limit then i think the safety and welfare of the kiddies has to come first. I have never had a run in with `Social services` in the UK yet so i am unaware if it is similar.

Well She had checked herself into the hospital 6 times within a two week for dehydration due to blood alcohol poisoning. While being questioned she had readily admitted that she just gave birth and is nursing her child which probably was cause for the dehydration.

The Hospital determined that her blood alcohol was three times the limit with each admittance into the hospital. The hospital in turned contacted the authorities to remove the child out of the home and to have tests ran.

This is the link she provided as evidence: MassOutrage | DCF Dirty Tricks

Continuous 3 times the legal limit shows adequate evidence that she isn't capable of making choices in the best interest of the child.

• Like 10
todreaminblue

This is just sad,drinking to excess while you are pregnant is damaging to babies in utero.....same as drugs.........a little pre,ature baby was born just about a month ago, born with gastro schissis.....premature and suffering withdrawals, low immunity since he was prem, so he got sick in hospital, he had the biggest blue eyes i have seen in a while since my own grandchildren were born...:0(

the mum has been getting the payments and partying while the little baby boy has been removed for a start, for two years and given to the new dads parents......and the new dad has a chance to clean his act up and take custody, he is doing whatever he can,he is also trying to get the mum to stop.....but the mum was bought up in foster care all her life so the cycle continues because she feels it is what happens.......she drank she did drugs and she partied on with other men all the while the baby lay in a crib in hospital with his intestines slowly being put back inside his body every day .......the baby i sout now and with the new dads parents.......and i am happy about that

i dont know about moderation of drinking.......moderation of drugs......its all a bit of a risk......and with a new baby who might or might not be affected who wants to take that risk of havign a baby who is behind the eight ball from even when and before it is born..........especially if you have problems with alcohol.......

it should be really on the safe side of complete abstinence but maybe that is because i cant get the photo out of my head of a baby with big blue eyes with his intestines above his body ......i got a bit of a shock..his eyes looked way older than two days.......they actually looked sad.......so no......sorry ....no alcohol should be key.no drugs or anything that is highly addicitive ...to me anyway...its like force feeding a new born alcohol just a couple of glasses every day........just becaus you dotn know how much alcohol goes through to the baby doesnt mean you shouldnt think of it...... acoupelk of glasses of alcohol t a baby well....think they would be over the limit....by about five time maybe ten....imagine ten months every day of being over the limit then having to be born.....nah....just nah........deb

6 times in 2 weeks shows there is a need for investigation. Either her drinking is out of control, or she's got horrible judgment.

Someone needs to step job and look out for the safety of the baby, because she can't do it when she's plastered.

• Like 7
  • Author

She believes she can manage her drinking and nursing at the same time.

She's a recovering alcoholic who began to drink again while being pregnant. She faults the government for everything happening to her.

What exactly is the legal limit to describe 'parenting under the influence'?

I checked that article for 'hospital, baby, nursing' and found no remarkable results identifying the incident. Any other sources? The linked article seemed more a rant against DCF.

• Like 1

That could be a good question. But surely one is too much if in charge of a child-baby. That`s me, but there is the PC side of this as well i guess.

I checked that article for 'hospital, baby, nursing' and found no remarkable results identifying the incident. Any other sources? The linked article seemed more a rant against DCF.

• Like 1

It may just fall under "neglect" if the parent is not able to perform basic tasks due to drinking while responsible for the child.

• Like 2

Ok, missed that. If she was drinking heavily while pregnant then NO. Not good.

She believes she can manage her drinking and nursing at the same time.

She's a recovering alcoholic who began to drink again while being pregnant. She faults the government for everything happening to her.

• Like 3
  • Author

@Carhill Idk just going on what she is reporting to me. They did get her on neglect and child endangerment. Her baby was found with alcohol and anti psychotic drugs in the baby's system.

Ok, so you know her? Hope she is ok. Is the baby with her? I am sure she can be helped.

She tells me the baby is doing ok.

A suggestion: How about presenting the facts of the case at one time in one place to assist in more complete and accurate answers and opinions?

We've gone from nursing while drinking to drinking while pregnant as a recovering alcoholic?

Where's the biological father in this? Wacked on cannabis? He would be the likely candidate for custody in any reasonable scenario, should the mother be deemed unfit/5150. TBH, the latter is more of what this is starting to sound like. The baby is just an unfortunate consequence.

• Like 3
Silly_Girl

I regularly breastfeed in the pub whilst enjoying a beer or a glass of wine. Indeed, it's all about moderation.

Blood alcohol poisoning is drinking to the extreme and the concerns are twofold: the effect of the alcohol on the baby, and the parent's ability to keep the infant safe. That situation sounds very dangerous to me.

• Like 1
  • Author

This post is about nursing a baby while the mother is under the influence.

What she did in the past is irrelevant. I'm just focusing on if the mother's rights were violated. She believes can drink while nursing as long as the baby is doing ok.

If she is pissed then no. I would not be allowed to look after my kids under the influence. It`s just a matter of time before something truly tragic happens.

What she did in the past is irrelevant. I'm just focusing on if the mother's rights were violated. She believes can drink while nursing as long as the baby is doing ok.

• Like 3

The officials and doctors aren't going to take her word for it that the baby is ok. Even if the baby is ok now, she's endangering the baby each time she engages in this behavior.

• Like 4
GorillaTheater

Having a glass of wine while nursing is one thing, and putting it away like a sailor on shore leave is something else entirely. I don't trust her judgement that the baby is "okay". Denial runs deep in addicts, including alcoholics.

I'm no fan of CPS. When I was with the DA's office what I typically saw was CPS overreacting in relatively minor situations, and dropping the ball when when things were more serious. But based on what I'm reading, I say that the docs and authorities are doing the right thing.

I hope your friend gets her life straightened out. She doesn't have the luxory any more of screwing it up unnecessarily.

• Like 5
  • Author

These are my own thoughts in what I told her about her situation.

You have to keep your body healthy especially if you are nursing a newborn baby. The body must be free of ANY toxins including alcohol.

Now if she wanted to drink and she's NOT nursing, that's fine! She can knock herself out!!!

I told her I believe she has a problem because she keeps checking herself into the hospital for alcohol dehydration. You can't become dehydrated after one or two glasses of wine. I told her that she is in denial and stupid to believe she's dehydrated because she's nursing and not drinking enough water.

I believe that SHE is the one who got the authorities involved by going to the same hospital multiple times within two week time period for the same complaint. She got herself flag by the hospital authorities.

Next time If she feels like she has a drink while nursing If she becomes dehydrated go to different hospitals in the area not the same one to avoid detection from the hospital authorities. Hospital staff are trained to look for patterns in a patient.

I believe the authorities don't look to take children from their families unless there is a justifiable cause.

She is hoping to have her custody rights restored as soon as she can prove herself to be a responsible parent.

• Like 2
She tells me the baby is doing ok.

How would she know when she's drunk and on anti-psych meds?

• Like 2