What if there was a military draft and your son got drafted?

d0nnivain

I'd have mixed emotions: pride, fear, annoyance that there was a draft / war, patriotism . . . abject terror.

My husband is a Marine veteran so there's no way a drafted child of mine wouldn't be going.

• Like 1

My son isn't going . Plain and simple.

You want to invade countries for strategy? Find some one else.

• Like 1

I don't agree with forced draft of civilians, never have.

That being said, if he's 20, he has the right to make the decisions by himself, so I'll stay out of it unless asked. Point is moot though because even if I do have children, they are going to be raised in a country where this is very unlikely to happen.

• Like 1
You should raise an adult who decides for himself. You want to veto the actions of an adult child. Control ?

If he wanted to go, I wouldn't stand in his way. However that was not the question, so I don't know why you jumped to such a conclusion.

• Like 1
soccerrprp
How would you feel? It would affect 20 year olds primarily

I would feel terrible. Depending on the reasons, I may even feel pretty pissed-off and civilly protest the act on my son's behalf. One thing for certain, it better be an universal draft that does not preclude the wealthy, connected, etc.

• Like 1

If when either of my boys come of age they decide to sign up then I'd be in super proud of them! I'd also be worried for their safety, naturally I want to protect them however old they get but the army/raf they're options I looked at myself and I would understand my boys choosing them!

If they were called up that changes things slightly, depending mostly on how they felt about it! If they were prepared and wanted the chance then same as before then same as before I'd be mostly proud but of course concerned for them too. (Although I agree with soccerrprp if your calling my boys to the frontline they damn well better be standing shoulder to shoulder with your own!!!)

If they were called and didn't want to go then I guess the protection of your kid would kick in and override any sense of duty or patriotism. If they were 20 I'd be 39, approaching 40, that's not too old, I'd take their place in a heartbeat if I could! If that's not an option then I guess I'd try to figure out why they most didn't want to go and sort it out from there!

But my boys are far too small and far too cute to imagine them in camos just yet! Lol

• Like 2
d0nnivain
Also would you feel differently depending on the type of war it was?

The bullets in a just cause are as deadly as the ones used in other conflicts, so no I wouldn't feel any differently.

somedude81

I believe that draft should only be used for one extreme circumstance.

Your country is at risk of being invaded.

In other words, the draft should only be used to protect your home.

Of course, if the US was at war and there was a danger of fighting happening on American soil I'd just enlist.

I may make an exception if one of the US closest allies were in danger of being invaded. For example, if somebody was attacking England, there should probably be a US draft.

Edited by somedude81
  • Like 1
Smilecharmer
If when either of my boys come of age they decide to sign up then I'd be in super proud of them! I'd also be worried for their safety, naturally I want to protect them however old they get but the army/raf they're options I looked at myself and I would understand my boys choosing them!

If they were called up that changes things slightly, depending mostly on how they felt about it! If they were prepared and wanted the chance then same as before then same as before I'd be mostly proud but of course concerned for them too. (Although I agree with soccerrprp if your calling my boys to the frontline they damn well better be standing shoulder to shoulder with your own!!!)

If they were called and didn't want to go then I guess the protection of your kid would kick in and override any sense of duty or patriotism. If they were 20 I'd be 39, approaching 40, that's not too old, I'd take their place in a heartbeat if I could! If that's not an option then I guess I'd try to figure out why they most didn't want to go and sort it out from there!

But my boys are far too small and far too cute to imagine them in camos just yet! Lol

Awwww, your babies are too cute.

My son is in the military and we are so proud. Freedom unfortunately isn't free regardless of what entitled people think. The draft is a necessary evil of war.

• Like 2
Also would you feel differently depending on the type of war it was?

Yeah - some wars are necessary!

Attacking other countries, i get sometimes is needed but mostly its all political and what have you.

But defending yours is another matter! Look at the WW2 - i'm sure none of those men wanted to pay with their lives but they were fighting for their families, their homes, their freedom!

I may make an exception if one of the US closest allies were in danger of being invaded. For example, if somebody was attacking England, there should probably be a US draft.

Cheers dude!! :D

• Like 2
somedude81

Just give me the girls from Nuts and we'll call it even :)

• Like 1
Smilecharmer
Yeah - some wars are necessary!

Attacking other countries, i get sometimes is needed but mostly its all political and what have you.

But defending yours is another matter! Look at the WW2 - i'm sure none of those men wanted to pay with their lives but they were fighting for their families, their homes, their freedom!

Yes, somedude is right, if someone was going after England or Ireland or Australia, it would be on like Donkey Kong. :laugh:

WWII must never be forgotten..they were our greatest generation. :love:

I'm feeling very sentimental right now, just watched the History Channel.

• Like 2
Awwww, your babies are too cute.

Haha did you see the picture! They sure are :D:love:

My son is in the military and we are so proud. Freedom unfortunately isn't free regardless of what entitled people think. The draft is a necessary evil of war.

I bet, good on him!! Ah its totally true - we couldnt live the lives we do without the folk prepared to defend our countries!

• Like 2
Smilecharmer
Haha did you see the picture! They sure are :D:love:

I bet, good on him!! Ah its totally true - we couldnt live the lives we do without the folk prepared to defend our countries!

Yes, I looked at your profile...I bet you and your gf are so proud. Your twins are beautiful. Thank you, we think our son is one of a kind. His little sister said once that he was a hero because he had so many options but he chose to serve. He is a great son.

• Like 1
Yes, I looked at your profile...I bet you and your gf are so proud. Your twins are beautiful. Thank you, we think our son is one of a kind. His little sister said once that he was a hero because he had so many options but he chose to serve. He is a great son.

Yeah, I can't believe we didn't have them 6 months ago! Crazy! I love being a dad :D

I'm sure he is! Honourable choice to make, respect to him!!

• Like 1

Good point 1924. Wars in Iraq and Vietnam were not about preventing invasion. Neither was the Falklands conflict. WW1 and 2, carried the threat of invasion to the UK. So in that case i would say yes. But for merely economics, then no. People die and are maimed in war. A just war could be to defend your country. But after ww2 when the Germans had been got rid of, another thing took its place. The west never lifted a finger to end it. It ended on its own. No history buff so i expect to be corrected.

somedude81

Vietnam, Korea, Iraq, Afghanistan, those wars are about protecting the interests of the country, not the country itself.

Thank God the draft wasn't instituted after 9/11 or I would have moved to Canada.

• Like 2
How would you feel? It would affect 20 year olds primarily

Since this is an opinion and a human emotion stand point, its my opinion that wars are 99% un-necassary. No I would not want or support any of my relatives fighting it or being demanded to sacrifice their life.**Shocker*** I have four brothers who support my view as well and they were each in the military. None of them disrespect our govt or speak ill of the President, they do though have an array of ill regard for the true dynamics of warfare.

I say no to guns,bombs,and harm. Drafts make it that the govt owns the person, a higher form of slavery none the less.

• Like 1
  • Author
I'd have mixed emotions: pride, fear, annoyance that there was a draft / war, patriotism . . . abject terror.

My husband is a Marine veteran so there's no way a drafted child of mine wouldn't be going.

Even if it was a Vietnam/Iraq type war?

To a small extent, it would depend on the war. Most wars have nothing to do with freedom or justice or any other lofty ideals, and are really just about power and strategic interests.

Assuming the war in question fell into the latter category as most do, I would of course recognize that my son is allowed to make his own decisions, but I would do everything in my power to get him out of it if that's what he wanted. Pull strings, find loopholes, get him out of the country if need be, etc.

I think my overriding sentiment would be "I didn't raise him to adulthood just to feed him into the corporate oligarchy's war furnace at the age of twenty".

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

I'd argue to lower the draft age to 8 so hopefully I'd get lucky and miss out on 10 years of child support!

Why don't you open it up a little. How would you feel if your sons and/or DAUGHTERS were drafted.

Many countries have now removed, or are in the process of removing gender restrictions on front line/direct combat occupations. Including the UK, USA, Canada, Australia, France, Germany, Norway, Denmark, the Netherlands and Israel. So it is quite conceivable that in the future the draft will apply to both genders.

Curious if this changes peoples views at all :-/