"Stamp out Virginity" T-Shirt

This high School Senior came to a summer activity with a T-shirt, and on it was the phrase, "Stamp out Virginity". Thinking that his councelor was pretty cool, he walked up to him and said. "How do you like my t-shirt?

The councelor said, "You know, I like that t-shirt sooo much, that I think as soon as you get home, you should find a hard box. "Then, you should clean and press that shirt, fold it neatly, wrap it up in tissue paper, place it in the box with some moth balls, tape the box shut then wrap it in butcher paper and put it away for 20 or 25 years."

"Then, when you're daughter or you son decide to go out and have some fun, let one of them wear it."

The senior looked at the councelor blankly, then simply turned around and walked away without saying a word.

That evening the councelor was feeling bad, thinking that what he had told this kid was a little too harsh. The next day the Senior walked up to him and said, "I burned that shirt." "I really didn't think this all the way through until I talked to you." " Thanks. "

The councelor was more afraid of offending this kid, than the offense of that t-shirt did to him.

I heard this story on the radio this morning. I just love analogies like this. It made me think that even I can come up with clever ways to get through to my kids without screaming and yelling at them, rather, just paint a story for them to see clearly where I'm coming from.

I will agree that the whole world changes when you have kids of your own.

And I also wish I could be that smart when talking to my own pre-teen.

Thanks for sharing. :)

If you're interested in offensive T shirts, check out t shirt hell. It's got some HILARIOUS ones.

If you're offended easily, I'd skip it though.

They did an ad campaign a few years ago w/these billboards that had VIRGIN written in giant letters and a subclause saying "teach your kids it's not a dirty word"

I thought that was a good one but they had to take them down b/c too many parents COMPLAINED! :rolleyes:

Complained? Get- out!? Why would they complain about that? Seriously I see parents complain that the youth is doing bad but then they go and complain about a shirt promoting virginity.

To moose that was a good way to talk to a younger person. My father used to do that to me all the time.

But then he would give me a riddle or metaphor and nod his head at me in a very serious manner. I would nod and say oooooh.

But then he'd leave the room and I would think

'WTF did he just say?'

It seems they were afraid that "young" children would ask about the word before they needed to know what it was.

IMHO- if they can read it -they are old enough to learn it.

I thought that was a good one but they had to take them down b/c too many parents COMPLAINED!

We're so ass backwards..

I'm not a huge fan of ad campaigns that teach people how to parent children.

The worst would have to be NBC's "The more you know" series.

• Author

Are you kidding????? I love those!!!! And to be honest, I think a lot pf parents don't appreciate them because it causes them to admit their own faults. :o

is pretty popular nationwide (Jillians) Anyway- they had a 21 and over rule after a certain time Not b/c of underage drinking- but b/c parents would have their kids (I'm talking toddlers) running around w/ a bunch of drunks at midnight. :(

Sometimes -society just has to lend a hand.

Originally posted by Moose

And to be honest, I think a lot pf parents don't appreciate them because it causes them to admit their own faults. :o

I think it would be more feeling that Ross from friends isn't qualified to give a condescending lecture about how all kids need is for you to quit your job to spend time with your kid, all the while avoiding offensive jokes that will scar them for life.

• Author

dyer, you have a point, but all that was to, "Ross", was another paycheck. I don't think you need celebrities in those, "The more you know" quickies to get a point across.

As far as quitting your job to be with your kid, well, if you are making a living and have the basic neccessities of life, spending the rest of the time you have with your family is only the least you can do. Materialism doesn't make neglect an all right thing.

I think my main objection is the fact that NBC uses NBC celebrities to fill those ads. Celebrities make a ton of money and can afford to pamper their children.

Personally, I think that if my dad's around to make racist jokes in my presence, it means I'm not being neglected :)

The campaigns in questions are there to help. I do not believe it matters who is in the campaign commercials, be it celebrity or not. The important point is the message.

They may have benevolent intentions, but they still annoy me. The message is basically, "Spend more time with your kids", but first watch this NBC show...

The celebrities cloud the message, in my opinion. They're often not qualified to tell people how to parent their kids. It would be like Charlton Heston telling me not to purchase a gun if I have kids. I think the celebrities make it condescending and ineffective.

• Author
Personally, I think that if my dad's around to make racist jokes in my presence, it means I'm not being neglected

Sounds like Dad needs to be taught a lesson on how to raise young uns.

Hey, maybe they could use that as an example in one of those ads....just a thought, or do they have one for that subject allready???? hmmmmm