Im a 15 years old and am having problems with my family

Emily55555

Hi, im 15 and im having problems in my family. My dad being my worst problem. He gets mad at me for every little thing, even if its forgetting to close a door in the house. My family fights constantly... and everyone blames me for problems that happen in our family. If some one makes a mess, they all blame me. Sometimes i feel that my family hates me. i have a twin sister that is always favored. She gets a's in school, as well as shes top on most of sports teams. For almost my whole life shes been favored over me and when she does something wrong, my parents blame me. Maybe its because I care alot about boyfriends and my social life. But thats only so importnat becuase I cant be liked and understood by my family. No one really pushes me to succeed either I feel like no one really cares whether i do good or bad. I really wish i could gain acceptance from my family... and maybe have my older could stop blaming and being so mean to me. I really like when we all just get along. What should I do?

CaterpillarGirl

Emily,

Approach each of your family members and ask them to write down (maybe have a pen/paper handy):

1) What characteristics they admire about you.

2) What kind of career they think you'd be suited for.

3) What you contribute (positively) to the family

3) What things you can work on to change for the better/what contributions they would like you to make

Hopefully, this will get you started on the right track. If they are perceptive, they'll ask you to do the same for them.

If you find that you often argue about the same things, schedule a time to address that particular issue.

If things get worse, talk to a school counselor or ask your family doctor to refer you to a teen counselor. A lot of teens feel the way you do, believe me.

Good luck!

-CatGirl

I remember when I was your age being a middle child I always felt inferior and like I was being singled out her are some things I would advise as a father and did so myself when I was younger

- make a list of everytime that another sibling is grounded and/or scolded for somthing also make a list on yourself in my experince it came out very even I just seemed to forget when my siblings were in trouble for something.

-try to talk to your parents and let them know that you feel like you are being singled out hopefully they will make an effort to let you know they love all of the children the same (I know it seems otherwise sometimes but it is true).

-last but not least if you feel you cannot talk to your parents try writeing your thoughts on things that happened for a whole week like monday got yelled at for messy room and so on and give the journal to your parents or leave it on their bed for them then they can see how you feel and approch you about it.

as tough as it is at your age you have to belive your parents want the best for you and expect you too try hard in school every parents goal is for their children to have a better life then they did no matter how theirs has gone

best luck

god knows we all need a little help soetimes