son with Down Syndrome and puberty- !

geejayess

I am a bit concerned- not that he is discovering his body and what makes him feel good- but that it (raging hormones?!) may be what is causing him to act out.

He is in middle school (a new environment for him) and he is giving everyone a hard time: disrupting the class, calling attention to himself, running away from his teachers, even hitting, kicking and spitting when they try to get him to settle down. At first we thought it was a transitional thing- him getting used to a new classroom setting and new teachers; but as it is almost November, and he has been in new settings before without this kind of behavior, I'm thinking it is something else.

I found him in the bathtub with an erection- not a big deal, as it is not the first time I have seen him with an erection, so I didn't make anything of it except to say that "this isn't the time for that" (it was in the morning and he should have been getting ready for school.)

But after I sent him off to school, it got me to thinking- maybe he is confused about the feelings he is experiencing and doesn't know how to handle them...?

He doesn't have a man to talk to- his father doesn't have anything to do with him, so this is all on me. I have an older teenage son, but I KNOW he will not want to touch this.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I really don't care about him masturbating, but I do have an issue with him misbehaving in school. I appreciate any help