Breast Feeding in Public

fantasy2000

fantasy2000

I have noticed in a number of public settings that women choose to breast feed their babies in plain view. Some are more discreet about this than others. I have seen some women with their breasts exposed and did a double take as I walked past. I don't think it is appropriate to do this. Surely you can find a more discreet place than at a park bench or on a commuter train. If they have more than one child then sometimes they get distracted by the toddler and oops everything is exposed. Come on ladies have some tact.

I see no problem with women feeding their babies in public. The breast, after all, is a gland designed for that very purpose. It's only the Elitists , who would be offended. If you don't want to see it, turn your head away.:)

I used to think that way, until recently when I was having dinner at a resturant and the mother near our table just pulled her boob out and put the baby to her chest.

She had a modesty sheet but it slipped off. I didn't think much of it, just carried on eating.

silverfish

I gave up breastfeeding when my yougest was about 3 moths old because it limited where I could go and what I could do (having a 3 yr old at the same time meant I couldn't just hide away and do it in private)

It was incredibly stressful trying to breastfeed in public but I admire those women that do it ...after 4 or 5 times of trying myself I found it too stressful and embarrasing to continue due to it being 'socially unacceptable' - it's not hard to get the vibe from the general public.

On the other hand you get it drummed in that it's the best thing for your baby so in an ideal word everyone would understand this and be accepting or just look away and move on (women seem to manage this just fine mostly).

You can't expect to be protected from the reality of human existence in whatever form that takes...try and be a little more sympathetic and just look away

It's only the Elitists , who would be offended.

What is an Elitist in this context, and why does it deserve to be capitalized as though it's an actual Proper Name of something?

Wow.. I can,t believe some people, in 2010, are still 'against' breast feeding in public.. gosh ... what's wrong with feeding a baby... this is sooo natural..

I don't see anything wrong either for women going topless on beaches down south...

Breastfeeding is waaaaaay easier than bottle feeding.

No bottles, no formula, no sterilising, just pop the baby on your boob and away you go.

I agree with Lizzie- its a totally natural thing to do and gives babies the best start possible.

I thought I might be ashamed when I first started, but to be honest, the welfare and nutritional needs of my child mattered far more to me than the discomfort of prudish strangers.

• Author
fantasy2000

Can it not be done on a schedule? I thought babies get into a feeding schedule. Also, can the mother not make a supply of breast milk to take out in public?

Are you kidding?

1. Expressing breast milk is time consuming and a pain in the butt. Most mothers of babies do not have that many spare minutes where they are happy to spend it hooked up to a breast pump.

And again, you have to have bottles and all the other paraphernalia.

I would rather use my spare time to actually go out and see friends etc, because being a stay at home mum can make you quite stir crazy at times.

And as for "can't it be done on a schedule" Hahahahahahahahahahhaaaahhaaa

Yes, in a perfect world where babies don't cry or need comforting or have vaccinations or go through growth spurts or teethe or get overtired or extra hungry or grumpy or unsettled or frightened or hot or cold or startled or any number of other things that breastfeeding can be used for.

Babies can have schedules, sure. But they change regularly, and with my daughter we just got one schedule going well for a couple of days, then she would decide to do something different.

If had had to breastfeed in private for the first six months I would have gone totally NUTS.

And if someone like you had taken offense, I really would not have given a sh**

Can it not be done on a schedule? I thought babies get into a feeding schedule. Also, can the mother not make a supply of breast milk to take out in public?

Well said. Its called having social manners when regarding ones personal body parts. I stand by the decision to show some modesty. Its neither prudish or *anti* anything. We have gone from one extreme to another on this matter and a happy medium is, use a modesty cloth. It may be your choice to breastfeed but dont make it a demand that folks accept the display of ones body parts simply because its *natural*.

silverfish

I agree with sb ....but I think a lot of women get bad vibes from breatfeeding in public and in front of extended family and so on..it's seen as a little unacceptable. You get the disapproving stares and so on pretty much everywhere so its hard to relax and get on with it but I admire those who have the confidence to do it

Do you have kids?

There is a way you can do it discreetly, hell, I didn't walk into a cafe with my boobs on full display, I have some modesty and pride. But i wouldn't not do it just because someone felt uncomfortable- thats their problem, not mine.

• Author
fantasy2000
Do you have kids?

There is a way you can do it discreetly, hell, I didn't walk into a cafe with my boobs on full display, I have some modesty and pride. But i wouldn't not do it just because someone felt uncomfortable- thats their problem, not mine.

I have two grown up daughters. Both breast fed by my wife but I don't think she would have done it in public or in front of family. :rolleyes:

I have two grown up daughters. Both breast fed by my wife but I don't think she would have done it in public or in front of family. :rolleyes:

Oh, you're a man. :rolleyes:

And you don't THINK your wife would have done it in public, but you're not 100% sure, especially if it had been socially acceptable then.

Enough said.

melodymatters

:lmao: You ever been to a Walmart or a publc beach OP ????

I see such disgusting displays of both flesh and bad behavior at both of these venues, but I long ago realized that I don't own the world and it's not Melody's private favorites list.

To be honest, I haven't observed a breast feeding mother in public in years, but I would feel nothing but empathy and good vibes : The kid isn't screaming, it's healthiest for the human population, all good.

Where do you people live where you see these breast swinging moms often enough to start a thread about it ?

Yes, I BF my daughter, in public in the early months and it meant one less baby screaming on the airplane and one less sick person your tax dollars might have to support someday.

If you think about it, it's SOOOO much more natural than seeing somone with a cell phone or an i-pod !:confused:

Don't like it ? Look away like I do with the BBW"s in their thongs on the beaches !:lmao:

Actually come to think of it, I would rather see a BFing mother anyday than a pair of hormonal teenagers sucking at eachothers acne laden faces!:sick:

• Author
fantasy2000
Oh, you're a man. :rolleyes:

And you don't THINK your wife would have done it in public, but you're not 100% sure, especially if it had been socially acceptable then.

Enough said.

Why is it that being a man means you don't know what a mother has to go through? I was an active player in the baby chores. Pretty much everything but breast feeding of course. :) I was talking about modesty in public. I know it is tough to be a mother I watched it first hand. I think the term used by another poster was social manners.

I know it is natural and needed and all that.

But an early image of breast-feeding (and seeing a live birth) gave me the willies in a way that made me never want to be a mother myself.

I'm a woman so I can be completely logical and the biology of it all, but personally it grosses me out.

And as a trained chef, I can hack apart the carcass of an animal and deal with blood and guts with no problem -- but breast-feeding and live birth just leaves me cold! :sick::sick::sick:

Yeah Carrie i felt that way too beforehand- I ALMOST didn't BF because the thought of it made me want to puke (didn't have a problem with anyone else doing it).

But once you have your own baby, your body takes over and does its thing, and it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. AND having a baby made it worth it.

Would do it again.

And Fantasy, i see what you mean, sure. Sorry, you're right, being a man doesn't discount your argument.

I am by no means a hippy au naturale earth mother- and I do agree that its possible to BF in public discreetly and modestly. There are so many clothes out there now that allow you to do this.

• Author
fantasy2000

I think what would have upset my wife would be if she was left to do everything by herself. That is when it gets exhausting. I did the late night stuff many times. My comment on breast pumps and milk was that it became necessary because if you are breast feeding your baby your husband might need to take over that chore and he will need a supply of breast milk on hand anyway. I don't think you can mix breast feeding with formula it is better to stick to breast feeding if that is what you choose. The baby will get cranky if you start mixing those types of feeding.

I agree that women who have never had kids will have difficulty understanding the whole process.

I mixed BFing with formula. Both as in she was fed by breast and bottle, AND I would mix them together in the same bottle. (which you can do, its esp handy to get them used to the taste of formula gradually)

I even expressed when I went back to work, so that my H and nanny could feed her. It was a PITA, but it worked for us.

When I was out with her though, it was so much easier just to plonk her on my boob, then i didn't have to worry about using up the stored milk and could keep it for times when I wasn't around.

Also, if you express too much your supply drops- its important to actually breastfeed enough to keep your milk supply up. Mine dropped off after a few months of working, which is why i gave up in the end, it was too tiring.

I was helping a young mother express her milk (don't ask) and it seemed like a real chore. It took a long time, was messy, and I couldn't get the damn thing to work right. Just pull out the tit and attach baby. Simple. If people want to stare and make disapproving noises and frowns, f**k 'em. BTW, the girl thought that me working on the machine was the funniest thing she had ever seen. She yucked it up for days .

SpanksTheMonkey

I am as down to earth as anyone but yea I would find it distasteful sure its natural and wonderful but then again so is being naked no? But I'm sure most of you wouldn't want to have everyone wondering around totally naked 24/7 would you?

I don't see what the issue is tho there is no need to do it right in public view these days every mall/public place Ive been to has a mommy and me room just for such a purpose and their nice our local one has a leather couch and bottle warmers!

I think the women who do it in public are just looking for attention thats JMHO on the subject unless maybe there in transit and theres no other option then I would just look away ok flame away lol :p