Not Going to Breast-Feed

threebyfate

I've been asking around to my friends/family who've had kids, what they would have changed.

Bar none, all of them told me not to stay away from buying furniture that's non-convertible, to toddler appropriate, then child appropriate. The baby stage doesn't last very long, on the scale of things.

Surprisingly, the majority suggested that they regret breast-feeding, due to restrictiveness, with minimal short-term return for their children. Since the thought of breast feeding has zero interest for me, I've decided not to breast feed and nothing will guilt me into doing so.

Did anyone else make this same decision and follow through with it?

laRubiaBonita

even with all the health benefits for you and the baby?

i just imaginged you would be a mom that did BF.....

I breastfed and have no regrets.

I think it is important esp in the early months. Also your boob is always there and ready. If you use formula you have to wait to prepare it warm it up etc.. and the whole time the baby is screaming. I found it easier.

Just because your friends didn't find it useful doesn't mean you won't. But it is up to you to decide.

TBF,

I think you should decide what is best for you. Breastfeeding isn't for everyone,

Just don't let people make you feel bad about your decision. I was just stating why it works for me. But I also stayed home for the first year so I really didn't have to express milk all that much. Or deal with having to be away for long periods of time.

laRubiaBonita

just to clarify...... i am not saying, TBF, that your decision is wrong or anything.

i do like hotgurl's suggestion of just trying it to see- But whatever, it's your and H's call, y'all are the parents.

just to clarify...... i am not saying, TBF, that your decision is wrong or anything.

i do like hotgurl's suggestion of just trying it to see- But whatever, it's your and H's call, y'all are the parents.

I didn't think that was what your were saying but it can be a touchy subject since some nurses and other motehr will shove breast feeding down your throat and make you feel like a bad paretn if you don't do it.

They are really agressive now.

If you do decide to BF give it some time. it takes a while to get used to it and to do it right.

Doesn't breastfeeding also do a number on your breasts (like stretch them out) or is that just a myth?

I don't know much about the pros and cons, but I can't imagine myself being a mother either who would whip out a breast in public.

melodymatters

This is such a personal choice, but I will share my story.

When I was pregnant, one thing I was SURE of, was that I was NOT going to breast feed. I felt like I would be a human cow, and pregnancy already takes enough autonomy away.

But then, they encouraged me to try it in the hospital, and it seemed so...organic. They send you home within 24 hrs nowadays and I was TIRED, so I figured i'd do it for a day or two. THEN my milk really came in, and I put Dolly parton to shame, and it was such a relief to feed a hungry crying little animal that had just come out of my body. ( She also slept on my chest for the first few days, it was animalistic, it's just where she " belonged")

And then she seemed to just blossom ! So pink, and rosy and HEALTHY ! And my stomach went down almost immediately.

Within one month I was back in size 2 jeans, she was healthy as a horse, and I was NEVER tired because I would just pop out the boob and we would both go back to sleep.

She never got sick in her first year and to this day has a killer immune system, and I actually was getting TOO thin there for awhile so i HAD to gorge on meat, milk and cheese !

All I can say is you just never know. I would like to advise you to at least give it a try. How is making a bottle less restricting ?

BTW, I went out and did things quite often, and she would also take formula from a bottle when with my mom !

Consider this: You're fast asleep. It's 2 or 3 a.m. and time for "the need to feed." You can do one of two things: Go to the kitchen and, while the baby cries harder and harder while waiting, you get a bottle ready with man-made formula that is second best to what you can provide naturally. Finally, you actually get to feed your baby and eventually get back to sleep.

Or

Get your baby, latch her on, and feed her what is best for her and be done and back to sleep in half the time.

I get annoyed by the super gung ho breastfeeders who have no consideration for other people.

Please point out who you're talking about in this thread. :rolleyes:

Please point out who you're talking about in this thread. :rolleyes:

Nobody in this thread specifically. I'm just not crazy about women who whip a breast out in full public view.

Bar none, all of them told me not to stay away from buying furniture that's non-convertible, to toddler appropriate, then child appropriate. The baby stage doesn't last very long, on the scale of things.

This is sound advice. I'll add, that it's much easier to put baby in the crib and when baby in then ready for a bed.. a twin size with a rail is a good way to go.

Surprisingly, the majority suggested that they regret breast-feeding, due to restrictiveness, with minimal short-term return for their children. Since the thought of breast feeding has zero interest for me, I've decided not to breast feed and nothing will guilt me into doing so.

All 3 of mine are breast feed babies.. and they are all smart as a whip. They also have been very healthy.. So, I see the benefits of nursing as a pay off. I'll add that the bonding was amazing.:love: You might want to google breast feeding vs bottle feeding and see what you find. Good luck.

Mea:)

Nobody in this thread specifically. I'm just not crazy about women who whip a breast out in full public view.

I don't think that is a necessary part of breast feeding. BTW, there is NO shame in breast feeding your hungry child - unless said child is, like, 4 years old. :laugh:

GorillaTheater

Personally, I've always taken the opposite view on public boobage.

I'm glad my wife breastfed. Seemed healthier, and saved me from heating up formula at three in the morning. BUT, it's entirely your call TBF.

Have you found out if it's a boy or girl yet?

I don't think that is a necessary part of breast feeding. BTW, there is NO shame in breast feeding your hungry child - unless said child is, like, 4 years old. :laugh:

No, it's not necessary, which is why I think it's inconsiderate to other people.

I never said there was shame, but there is basic decency.

Since the thought of breast feeding has zero interest for me, I've decided not to breast feed and nothing will guilt me into doing so.

thats cool, the formula is just as good

No, it's not necessary, which is why I think it's inconsiderate to other people.

I never said there was shame, but there is basic decency.

We are in complete agreement then. :)

I've been asking around to my friends/family who've had kids, what they would have changed.

Did anyone else make this same decision and follow through with it?

Do some nutritional research.

TBF... I love you but I'm a little disappointed.

• Author

Thanks for your input, Everyone. I'm also against the hard-core pressure that both the medical community and also, breast feeding advocates, puts onto guilting mothers to breast feed.

It's of no interest to me whatsoever to suckle a baby. If anything, it's a big turn-off for me, rather than increasing my maternal instincts.

My husband was bottle fed and so were all his siblings. They've experienced no ill effects from it, so he doesn't care if I do or don't. For both of us, the effects to the female breasts don't matter, as much as the restrictive nature of it. There's no way in hell I'm going to breast feed in public or be attached at the breast.

GT, Bump's a boy!! We found out a few weeks ago, in our first ultrasound.

thats cool, the formula is just as good

No, it's not. The colostrum especially, which is what first comes in, supports a healthy immune system. Nothing man made can replace it.

Whatever she decides is fine. It's her decision, but at least give her the honest facts.

Do some nutritional research.

TBF... I love you but I'm a little disappointed.

it is really not......

Couldn't edit my own quote in time.

I think nutritional research should be the only deciding factor here. This is the life and health of your child! I can't imagine what could possibly be more important than that.

GorillaTheater
GT, Bump's a boy!! We found out a few weeks ago, in our first ultrasound.

I knew it.

Didn't we bet money on this?