How to raise financially independent and self-sufficient daughters?

I would like to hear views on how to raise financially independent and self-sufficient daughters? How they can still cope with motherhood and household managemeny yet can still enjoy their marriage. It would be great especially to hear from those with experience. Thanks!

jessicakicksbut
I would like to hear views on how to raise financially independent and self-sufficient daughters?

In my opinion, you must teach them the value of a $ early in life, as well as responsibility in general in order to get them to be financially independent. Too many parents just buy their children things, instead of giving them money, and having them buy their own things. This teaches them that "I can't have item A, it is $7 and I only have $5. But I can have item B, because it is $4, and I'll even have money left over." Some people think it is not a big deal, but I know elementary aged children who can not grasp the concept of money, and I think it causes them to be delusional later on in life.

As for being self-sufficient, have them do chores as they grow up. AS they get older, do less and less for them (i.e. a mother doing a daughters laundry at age 21 won't help them whatsoever). Also, having your kid get a part-time job when they are a teenager really helps to improve both their financial independence and self-reliance.

Besides, in my opinion once a kid reaches the 16-18 year old range there are certain things a parent no longer pays for, even if the parent has a good job because they are hurting their child in the long run. They are also not teaching their child that you have to work for things, therefore causing the child to have a ppor work ethic. I paid for my own car and car insurance once I reached that age category, and at the time I thought my parents were evil for not helping me out. As I look around now, I seen kids who were given a car at my age never learned how to handle finances or responsiblity well, whereas I have done both, and managed to learn crucial life skills

well, I don't have any children, and I just got married so I don't have any experience raising children. BUT - Still being young, I can tell you how my mother raised me. And she raised me that way - to be independent and self-sufficient. SHe taught me how to budget money, yet still have the things you need, she taught me the importance of establishing a good career so that I wouldn't have to depend on my husband for support. I know that I wouldn't be the person that I am today if it weren't for my mother.

I think the most important way that my mother did this in raising me is that she let me become my own person. She didn't try to turn me into herself or what she thought I should be. She let me make decisions for myself and decide what is right for me. SHe allowed me the freedom to make my own choices, and through this I developed my own individuality and I learned what methods were best for me to cope with difficult things in life.

Like I said before, I am not a mother, but I think the most important thing any parent can do is this - Don't hold your children back from experiencing life just because you are afraid of them getting hurt. Sometimes going through some rough patches in life makes you a stronger person and helps you develop your own personality. Allow your children to make their own decisions (with your guidance, of course) and don't try to turn them into what you think the "ideal" child is. In the end, they will just rebel and be themselves anyway. Don't get mad at your kids so that they are afraid to talk to you. Be there for them and let them know that no matter what they do, you will always love them and they can talk to you about anything.

My mother did all of these things, and we have the best relationship I can imagine. That is the best advice I know to give.