When did start wanting to start a family? and when did you?

I'm 22 and freshly out of college. My boyfriend of 7 years and I are living alone together (finally no roommates!).

Lately I've been thinking of getting married and particularly of babies. Every time there's a baby on Tv my ovaries tingle and I think "I WANT one!"

Now realistically I'm not going to get pregnant until we're married and he's got a semester of college to finish before that's even an option. I also think that he'd like to have an established career and maybe a home loan before taking that step. It's not that he doesn't want to get married or have children it's just something that he wants to do after everything else is in order. I agree with that, I've got too much at stake starting and building a career to get pregnant now and I'm on BC so nothing will happen unless we're ready.

At what age did you start to want children? and at what age did you have them?

I was 27 and had been married for 5 years when I began thinking about having a child, but the desire was not intense. My husband and I did not not begin trying to conceive a baby until I was 37 and we had been married for 15 years. Our son is now 15.

Trialbyfire

I think it's a wise choice to wait until school is complete and career paths have been established. This way, when it comes time to have children, you're in a stable environment for them.

I've always wanted children since I can remember. I adore the little mites.

Having said that, I didn't have a family in my previous marriage since I wanted to establish self-employment first. Thank goodness for that, all things considered!

My fiance and I are talking about having a family within 2 - 5 years of getting married, which is happening next summer! :bunny:

Edit - I'm 34 years old.

I'm 23 and I feel ready, so long as it's with the right person. Of course, I haven't met him yet (or rather haven't convinced him to sleep with me yet) so it might be a while before it actually happens.

I was about 28 and married 4 years when the baby bug hit me. It was just an inner feeling of knowing that the time was right and I was ready to become a mom.

Mea:)

I used to be quite vocal on not wanting children. I think it was more as a result of being unhappy in the relationship I was in. Now, I can see it happening with the right person...eventually.

I'm around your age by the way chelsey. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I had always wanted kids. Wish I had waited a few years longer to start tho. Hindsite is a killer.

Had my first at a too-young-for me 19.

Met hubby at 21, pregnant at 22 and had my second child at 23.

I'm now 35 and am due with our 7th at the end of June.

blind_otter

Deep down I think I always wanted to be a mother, I think it's the most important job in the world and one of the most meaningful experiences of my life.

I had my son last year, I was 28 at the time. I had been pregnant twice before in my life, at 23 and again at 25 and I'm sincerely, deeply glad that I did not carry those pregnancies to term.

If you do want kids eventually, travel and have your fun more self oriented times now and enjoy them. It's not so easy to do those things when you have little ones.

The urge to be a mom didn't hit me until I was in my late 20's but I had our son at 34.

I knew I wanted babies since I was a kid. I remember reading my mother's how to take care of a baby book (which she got for taking care of me) when I was 8 or 9, and practicing diaper changes, baths and nursing on plastic baby dolls. No kidding.

This desire became really strong in my late teens. I knew that if I didn't get to meet these little people who were already half inside me (eggs) I would be a very unhappy person. I almost felt like they were already there with me.

Got married at 28 and had my first at 29, second at 32. Best thing I've ever done.

I knew I would eventually want babies, but didn't meet anyone I could seriously see as a good dad until I was 29.

We got married when I was 31, and I will be a few weeks off my 32nd birthday when I give birth to our first child- we started trying straight after our wedding and got pregnant almost immediately. One of the main reasons not to wait was my dad was diagnosed with cancer and we thought a grandchild in the works would give him something positive to focus on. Sadly, he won't get to meet him or her, but my mum is really excited.

We are both established in our careers, and are financially pretty good. we have also travelled alot and done alot of selfish stuff, so we feel pretty "ready" (if you can ever be truly ready!"