Friend's One Year Old Makes Herself Throw-up...

Is this normal? I don't think it is, and I asked my friend to Please tell her baby's doctor that she does this. My friend--naive as a day-old fawn, feels it's not a big issue. She says she "thinks" her daughter does this (makes herself throw-up) for attention and to stay up later at night.

SHE'S ONE-YEAR-OLD!!!!! :rolleyes:

This baby has a twin sister, and they have an infant sister. So I can see the child is looking for attention--but makes herself vomit??? Unreal man...unreal.

Is this normal or am I naive as a day-old fawn???

It sounds like she vomited once (by accident or illness perhaps) and received what she perceived as positive reinforcement. It gets her center stage in a house where out of the other two kids, one looks just like her and the other has the more dependent needs of an infant.

Its going to sound like a cruel action to simply wipe it up and ignore her or not react at all immediately, but since her vomiting prevents her from getting adequate nutrients if she continues this it might be necessary to handle it that way.

Has she spoken with her pediatrician about this yet? If the kid keeps doing it she will be at risk for dehydration and sometimes this is taken as a sign of neglect and could prompt the hospital staff to report children services. Not to mention the other twin might start to mimic for attention too.

It isn't typical, but it isn't abnormal either. Just somewhat extreme. Kids have been known to hold their breath until they pass out, or bang their heads on the floor or walls when throwing a tantrum. Somehow it has worked for her, as Sally said.

• Author

Well back in Feb, the twin girls were both sick and vommiting, so the doctor knew then that the girls were sick and weren't able to hold in food. But the one girl twin made a habit out of the vommiting, only forcefully, and my friend didn't tell her pediatrician about that. I asked her to Please tell her baby's doctor about this...I mean c'mon! But I guess she is worried about what the doctor will think. But I think the kid, who is about 22 months' old, is too young to know to stick her hands down her throat to vomit. But my friend, queen of justifications and excuses, says that she feels her daughter does this for attention and to stay up later...:rolleyes:

It is sick, but it also is common. My son tried it for a while around the same age. I asked my aunt who is a pediatrician and she said it is nothing to really worry about as long as they are still gaining weight, they grow out of it. You are supposed to be careful about not giving them attention for it when you know they did it on purpose.

not a healthy precedent to set if she's intentionally doing this, but in a child that young, my guess is that there's some serious underlying problem the parents need to get checked out STAT! This isn't normal, to say the least. Playing with poop, yes, force puking, no.

• Author
not a healthy precedent to set if she's intentionally doing this, but in a child that young, my guess is that there's some serious underlying problem the parents need to get checked out STAT! This isn't normal, to say the least. Playing with poop, yes, force puking, no.

:sick:

Well, if I remember correctly, the weight gain is an issue. But she referred to her daughter as "bullemic." That's sad in itself. I'm going to discuss this with her again next time I talk to her...

nah, all little kids do it at some point, it's a discovery of texture thing. Just like little boys like pulling on their pee-pees :laugh:

I was thinking that the baby needs to be checked for reflux.. many babies have an immature valve that closes off the stomach and what they drink/eat comes right back up from the stomach involuntarily..

It reall isn't even puked up.. the baby doesn't realize that it is coming and boom...

They have a medicine that fixes it right up.. it increases the digestive movements so the food starts digesting faster and goes away from the valve..

They also have a medicine ( just like zantec ) that is a histemine reducer that will remove the pain from the acid reflux..

My baby is on such a medicine as he has acid reflux...

:sick:

Well, if I remember correctly, the weight gain is an issue. But she referred to her daughter as "bullemic." That's sad in itself. I'm going to discuss this with her again next time I talk to her...

Babies with acid reflux have trouble gaining weight...

• Author

This baby--well, she's hardly a baby anymore--puts her hands down her throat and vomits. It doesn't voluntarilly come up--she forces herself to throw up. That's the issue and main concern here... :(

• Author
nah, all little kids do it at some point, it's a discovery of texture thing. Just like little boys like pulling on their pee-pees :laugh:

:o:eek::rolleyes:

Even as babies they're infatuated with their penies :laugh:

This baby--well, she's hardly a baby anymore--puts her hands down her throat and vomits. It doesn't voluntarilly come up--she forces herself to throw up. That's the issue and main concern here... :(

If I was the parent I would be sitting in the doctors office in about as fast as my feet would get me there..

At a year I don't think she is doing it to throw up but might be doing it for another medical reason...

Trialbyfire

At 22 months, these little people are smarter than you think. She's almost in her terrible twos. If she's self-inducing to vomit, I agree that she's doing it for attention. Do tell her pediatrician though. He might suggest some kind of saline solution to ensure for sufficient hydration.

It is a parenting issue -- the parents need to learn better ways of coping with the three children, and learning what each child's unique needs and personalities are, and finding ways to satisfy and honour those.

The child is not bulimic -- mom is showing denial symptoms by wanting to label it is such. A 2-year old doesn't know anything about "bulimia" or any other disorder...but s/he does know what s/he needs AND will quickly learn the fastest way to get it.

As others have mentioned, it is most likely a negative way of getting attention. It is age-appropriate in that the child doesn't have other ways of asking for the attention that she properly needs.

It is wonderful that you are concerned -- the kids are fortunate to have you in their lives! I wish you best of luck in getting through to both Mom AND Dad, that the family unit does need whatever professional assistance will start at the pediatrician's office.

Do you ever watch Jon and Kate plus 8? I just saw one episode yesterday where they were talking about one of their 3 year olds who does this. They determined she was doing it for attention, and resolved it by telling her if she throws up on purpose she has to wear that dirty outfit all day long. I realize their daughter is a little older than your friend's child, but it still can be an attention issue.

Is this normal? I don't think it is, and I asked my friend to Please tell her baby's doctor that she does this. My friend--naive as a day-old fawn, feels it's not a big issue. She says she "thinks" her daughter does this (makes herself throw-up) for attention and to stay up later at night.

SHE'S ONE-YEAR-OLD!!!!! :rolleyes:

This baby has a twin sister, and they have an infant sister. So I can see the child is looking for attention--but makes herself vomit??? Unreal man...unreal.

Is this normal or am I naive as a day-old fawn???

This does not sound normal at all. IMO, the parents should have this little one checked by her ped to rule out any underlying medical condition. If she is simply making herself throw up as a means for seeking attention, then the parents need to provide her with the proper attention she needs and deserves. Just my thoughts.

AP:)

• Author

Thank you for all of your concerns :love:

Artcritic, thanks for the yahoo link. I'll pass this onto my friend once I let her know I want to help her out with this.

Let me do some math to figure out how old this little girl is...she was born August 1 2006, so she is almost 23 months old. She has been doing this at least since Jan / Feb of this year, so she was less than 20 months' old.

Mom is home with all three babies all day. Dad works over 70 hours per week. Baby sister was born when the twin girls were 13 months' old--so she will be a year in September. It's hard enough having twins--then a third baby adds more competition and stress.

:(

This does not sound normal at all. IMO, the parents should have this little one checked by her ped to rule out any underlying medical condition. If she is simply making herself throw up as a means for seeking attention, then the parents need to provide her with the proper attention she needs and deserves. Just my thoughts.

AP:)

Ditto. All concerns should be brought to a Pediatricians attention. Too many parent put off unusual symptoms on something else trivial, then find out later the child is truly sick.