Focus on the Children - Savor them - anything else ?

SingleDad

I have learned quite a bit over the past several months.

You cannot control what your Ex spouse does - But your children will always be there - You brought them into this world - step up and be the best parent you can be.

So far I have done everything properly that I could. Joint legal and physical custody, 6 of 14 overnights, proper child support.

I still can't get over the anguish thinking about what my my 2 year old + 4 months will be missing in her life.

I am learning to take it one day at a time. Savor every moment with my daughter that I can. We go to the park frequently, look to local events to go to, reading books to her every night... every litttle thing I can think of, reading parenting books...and she gets lots of interaction through Daycare... But I do not have a creative mind to keep finding activities for her, especially on the every other weekend program.

It seems like her age is the hardest to find activities to keep her active and learning and give her structure - I want to do everything I can to make up for what she will miss out on. But she is so young, most activities are designed for kids at 4-5 years of age.

Any other thoughts on activities for a 2.5 year old - especially over the next 12 months of marial separation while I am still learning how to be a great dad ?

Sounds like you are on the road to becoming a great Dad! :)

Google Arts and Crafts for Toddlers. You will find loads of activities that, while fun, will help her develop fine motor skills and present other learning opportunities.

Enjoy!

We definitely have a lot in common single dad. And I congratulate you on keeping half custody, half placement. God knows that is enough of a triumph right there.

Anyways, I was/am in the same situation, though my daughter is 6 now, when her mother and I separated, she was 2. And then followed a year and a half of terrible, custody-court warfare. Luckily thats all over now and I also have pretty much half custody and half placement.

Its true that the age your daughter is, is probably the hardest to find things to do, and its taken me a little time in trying to remember what kind of stuff my daughter and I used to do back then.

A great idea is going to the park. I know that doesn't seem like much but its a great way to really soak up the nice weather, which is a joy in itself, while at the same time letting your daughter run wild and expend all her energy so that when bedtime comes, she'll be out in minutes. Also, its a good way to meet other parents and sort of network, since other parents are always sitting around, watching their kids too. I met a mother at the park we always went to, who had two daughters around my daughters age and they ended up being great friends and having playdates with each other, and they are still great friends to this day.

I don't know if you have many yoga studios around where you live, but the ones here usually have a class for parents and children from like, 2-4 years in age, where you can do yoga together. that's a great way to bond, and she'll learn bodily discipline as well, and how to concentrate.

Dance studios also usually offer a class for girls her age. You probably won't get to participate in that, but you'll get to watch from the side and beam with pride!:rolleyes:

Buy puzzles. And sit down with her and help her do them. Considering her age, I would try puzzles with 30-50 pieces. I know that seems like alot but trust me, if you help her, she'll be able to do them, and it will occupy her for an hour or so, which will also be great bonding time.

Okay, I could go on forever, so I'll make the rest of my suggestions short. Play-doh or modeling clay. Make animals together, or like my daughter and I used to do, create all new kinds of monsters, by combining parts of animals that already exist. Or just buy a coloring book and color together. Put some music on and as you color, engage her in conversation. Some of the best times I've had with my daughter were just quiet nights at home doing things like that. Once the conversation starts rolling, she'll surprise you every time with some small flash of intelligence or cleverness you probably had no idea she had yet. if i can think of more I'll post again. Hope that helped.

robkris8079

You don't have to find things specifically for her to do. My daughter is turning three next month. I've had joint custody since she was one and I'm the custodial parent. Her mother doesn't even live in this state anymore. We do things just for her like tea parties, going to the playground, going to look at frogs down at the pond, etc. But then we do regular things like grocery shopping, making a fire in the firepit, weeding, planting and watering the garden, all of which my little daughter absolutely loves to do just as long as she is helping in some way. I even get some work done. The other day she helped me fix the refridgerator door. Not pretend either, she can unscrew and screw things in for me. She helps me work on the car all the time too. I think she likes these things more then playing with toys. She's soaks up all this information like a sponge. I swear she will be ASE certified by 4:laugh:!

Be a super dad not a super hero! In you kids eyes you already have super powers!