Question about Diapers

Hello :)

I want to begin stacking up on diapers for when the baby will arrive in October. Any suggestions on the best brand or anything about diapers?

Also, I was told powder isn't good for the baby. What do you use to keep your baby healthy and clean down there before putting the diaper on?

Thank you :)

Lookingforward

Unless you're going the cloth diaper route, I wouldn't "stack up" on diapers as you have no idea at this point whether you are having a small or large baby and the sizes do vary a LOT.

My daughter's baby is just over 3 months and has only this week moved on from newborn size to size 1, while her best gf who delivered a 9 1/2 pound whopper about 2 weeks ago is already on the 3 month and over size.

As far as brands go in disposable diapers, it's often just personal taste. Pampers seem to be very good so far, or the generic from Babies r Us.

As far as keeping the baby clean, I always used talcum powder with no ill effects. I did find using the diaper liners which draw the moisture away from the baby's behind are very good. Unfortunately they don't seem to be very common here (usa) and I have only been able to find them online.

The other thing you can use if you don't like the powder is a small smear of petroleum jelly (vaseline), this protects the baby from the moisture which is the main cause of diaper rash. There are also many many brands of baby wipes on the market for use during changes. Some actually have a lotion such as aloe in them already.

Apart from all that - just change frequently and give the baby "air time" (ie - having his/her butt naked for a little each day)

Hope this has helped.

blind_otter

Ha ha - I'm delivering in July and all I have is a pack of newborn diapers my older sister had leftover, she gave them to me with a massive stock of baby boy clothes for my son.

I'm just going to force my SO to go out and get diapers for us. :laugh:

My MIL did give me a few samples of different styles of cloth diapers, though. I plan to do both cloth diapering and disposeable.

You have plenty of time to get diapers. Its up to you if you're going cloth diapers or not. Also, if you want to go organic, check out some organic baby products. You would be surprised at some of the harmful chemicals and things that are in baby products.

All the brands are about the same cost..

and as far as which is better.. they all seem to be about the same to me..

We went out and bought a 40-60 pack of each brand in newborn before he was born just so we could test out each brand..

We didn't do any of the generic brands however.. just the name brands

I prefer the Swaddlers..

We also go thru anywhere between 10-15 diapers per day..

I have used 3 diapers in 30 mins before.. change him before feeding.. then he takes a dump during the feeding.. then he pees after the feeding :laugh:

We did underestimate how many diapers you actually use.. it seems I'm always at the store buying some..

Wipers are the same way.. We use the pampers sensitives.. it takes one wiper for a diaper change.. but 3-4 if it is a poop and not pee...

In the closet we have a case of 1's & 2's for when he changes sizes.. for now he is still in newborn but he is almost 9 lbs and he is only one month old.. So I see him going into the 1's shortly..

Edited by Art_Critic
  • Author

Thank you all :) I'm hoping for a small baby, but one never knows--so good idea to wait as I don't know what size I'll need.

I was thinking every thing Organic as I am an organic user myself.

But as far as baby products--are the Organic products as effective as chemical products?

Thank you all :) I'm hoping for a small baby, but one never knows--so good idea to wait as I don't know what size I'll need.

I was thinking every thing Organic as I am an organic user myself.

But as far as baby products--are the Organic products as effective as chemical products?

I don't see why not. It has none of the other harsh or harmful chemicals. If anything, it's supossed to better for the babys skin, etc. Not knocking other products that are not organic just saying if you don't want the added chemicals. Anything organic is going to be more costly too. Do a search of organic baby products.

Lookingforward

We also go thru anywhere between 10-15 diapers per day..

I have used 3 diapers in 30 mins before.. change him before feeding.. then he takes a dump during the feeding.. then he pees after the feeding :laugh:

We did underestimate how many diapers you actually use.. it seems I'm always at the store buying some..

LOL, ain't that the truth - somtimes babies seem like cats with a clean litter box - as soon as you change them they have to 'go' again

• Author

Yeah, I remember my days of babysitting for the little baby of this family I sat for years. Well that baby exploded on me twice during her infancy. :sick:

I remember that I'd sometimes change her diaper more than one time per hour.

I want to heavily avoid diaper rashes. I myself have eczema and am hoping not to pass it on. I have it in my scalp and other places down south :o

My friend who has three kids under 2 (twins and an infant)--her babies Always had diaper rashes. WTF is she doing that those babies Always have diaper rashes?

well my daughter was so small we had to buy premmie diapers.

Also the only diapers we could use were huggies and huggies wipes. Every other brand gave her horrible diaper rash.

I also got a diaper genie which helped with the smell.

• Author
well my daughter was so small we had to buy premmie diapers.

Also the only diapers we could use were huggies and huggies wipes. Every other brand gave her horrible diaper rash.

I also got a diaper genie which helped with the smell.

Ahhh, yes. A diaper genie will be in Full use around here ;)

justpassingthrough
My friend who has three kids under 2 (twins and an infant)--her babies Always had diaper rashes. WTF is she doing that those babies Always have diaper rashes?

The answer could be the obvious - the babies aren't being changed often enough. However, it could be something else. Food/drink allergies will manifest into a diaper rash. At least it did with my daughter.

My local pharmacist offered the following advice, which worked so well I am happy to share it: triple antibiotic ointment. Generic is fine because the ingredients don't change between manufacturers. It provides that barrier another poster mentioned along with healing agents. It really works.

The other thing the pharmacist told me was to avoid talcum powder because, by its very nature, it's warm. He suggested corn starch as an absorbing agent, instead. That's what I did and didn't have problems after.

• Author

Great, thanks!

But won't powder of any kind absorb the natural oils and cause a baby rash?

StartingOver07
Great, thanks!

But won't powder of any kind absorb the natural oils and cause a baby rash?

The stuff I recommended is great. It is not dry feeling even though it is a powder. None of my kids ever had a moment of diaper rash and I truly believe it was the Caldesene that prevented it. All my friends' babies had diaper rash at least sometimes. And, not to give you TMI, but my first was allergic to everything and pooped every 10 minutes. Or so it seemed. :eek:

• Author
The stuff I recommended is great. It is not dry feeling even though it is a powder. None of my kids ever had a moment of diaper rash and I truly believe it was the Caldesene that prevented it. All my friends' babies had diaper rash at least sometimes. And, not to give you TMI, but my first was allergic to everything and pooped every 10 minutes. Or so it seemed. :eek:

:laugh: aww, poor baby. Poor you too!

Thank you :love: