No Twins for me...woohooo!!!

I am relieved :cool:

My OB did an US today and confirmed only one baby. Still too soon to tell the sex, but I'm hoping for a healthy baby boy or girl (dad too).

As parents yourselves (or not), do you recommend finding out the sex of your first child, or wait? I'm back and forth with this. The baby's father was with me and he said he will agree to what I decide about finding out. She said next month (well, during May more or less) she will hopefully be able to determine the sex, but it was too soon now. A heartbeat will be heard around June for us. Very emotional I have to say.

What can I expect now in the coming months? I'm about 8 weeks now which places me in the last month of the first trimester, so I'm very far away from big developments. I'm hardly even showing.

My OB did an US today and confirmed only one baby. Still too soon to tell the sex, but I'm hoping for a healthy baby boy or girl (dad too).

As parents yourselves (or not), do you recommend finding out the sex of your first child, or wait? I'm back and forth with this. The baby's father was with me and he said he will agree to what I decide about finding out. She said next month (well, during May more or less) she will hopefully be able to determine the sex, but it was too soon now. A heartbeat will be heard around June for us. Very emotional I have to say.

What can I expect now in the coming months? I'm about 8 weeks now which places me in the last month of the first trimester, so I'm very far away from big developments. I'm hardly even showing.

huh? i thought you've been saying all along how big you were and that's why you suspected twins... i don't understand your constant contradictions...

• Author

When did I say I'm big? :confused: I had a little stomach to begin with and when I'm bloated, I look about five months pregnant even when not pregnant (not that you need the details of my bloatingness), but I never said I'm huge. How huge can anyone be at this stage?

As I said, my mom too had high HG levels during her four out of five pregnancies. I don't know why these things happen, but they do.

AdrianaLima

Congratulations!! I think that it'll be better to find out what you're having as soon as possible. That way, you can start buying things, such as clothes. And also for others, so they can buy you things too.

blind_otter

That's weird. Conventional wisdom says you cannot determine the sex of the fetus until about 18 weeks. That is what both my OB and my new midwife (who happens to be my SO's mom) both said to me. Huh.

Also, you should be able to hear the heartbeat with the doppler instrument by 12 weeks. I did, anyways.

Anyways, every pregnancy is different. Some women have zero sex drive - mine is through the roof. Of course there is that old wives tale that when you're carrying a boy you have a higher sex drive.

Lately I'm just big and clumsy (I'm about 24 weeks along). I can't bend over to pick things up any more, and that is a huge pain in the ass. But I'm petite anyways - I'm only 5' tall, so I got big really fast. My uterus is measuring right where it should be, though. I just look really pregnant. I started showing when I was only 15 weeks.

I didn't feel fetal movement until I was well into my second trimester, but some women say they can feel it as early as 13 weeks.

I do have to say that I have been very emotional throughout my pregnancy. I cry at diaper commercials.

It's weird how people start talking to your belly. Another thing that really gets to me is the random people who come up and touch your belly. Like it isn't part of your body or something.

I'm doing natural childbirth so I won't be taking any pain meds or anything like that. I am scared about it, but my mom and older sister both went through it fine.

LucreziaBorgia

You'll know the sex next month? I am surprised that you will be able to determine the sex that early - I wasn't even aware it was possible that early on.

I found out the sex as soon as I could. It helped with getting stuff together for her nursery, and plus it just helped me with bonding with her - it was nice to think 'her' and not just 'not sure'. I was able to give some thought to names, and think about what it would be like to raise a little girl. Some people do like to wait though. Its up to you. You'll get the option to say 'yes' or 'no' when they ask you at the ultrasound.

As for what to expect, the first trimester was ok except for the morning sickness and cravings/aversions. The second was when I started really feeling pregnant - swelling, boobs becoming gigantic (I went up to a EE cup), itchy skin - I felt ungainly and clumsy at times. I didn't have a third trimester - I had mine at 28 weeks, so I never knew what it was like to be very pregnant. I understand it is uncomfortable there toward the end.

Edited by LucreziaBorgia
  • Author
Y

You'll know the sex next month? I am surprised that you will be able to determine the sex that early - I wasn't even aware it was possible that early on.

I had mine at 28 weeks, so I never knew what it was like to be very pregnant. I understand it is uncomfortable there toward the end.

I'm sorry to hear you had a premature labor. How is your baby now?

She said May more or less we can determine the sex, so in may I'll be almost 18 weeks. Now one of my coworkers said her OB told her during her second month she was having a boy, and she did have a boy. How is that possible? Beats me. I'm new to all of this.

I cry too at everything, but I'm always like that.

I'm noticable naked, but with clothes on you cannot tell. Like I said, I had a little bulge to begin with and was almost Always bloated, and people were used to seeing that (if they even noticed), but with clothes on I am not noticable yet. I too am petite about 5 feet as well. The dad is a very tall guy but I am hoping for a little baby like I myself was.

I can't wait to hear the heartbeat. Two things I'm looking forward to is hearing the heartbeat for the first time, and the baby cry for the first time. I become emotional thinking about this :love:

blind_otter

Two women at my work have babies, and since we all work overtime during tax season they usually bring their kids here after normal working hours, after the daycare closes.

Whenever I hear one of those babies cry I feel a twinge in my uterus. It's a strange sensation, when I wasn't pregnant I never got these weird feelings. Also, hearing babies cry makes me cry. :o

whichwayisup

I'm sure you're relieved to only be having one. Just enjoy your pregnancy, eat right, get the proper vitamins, sleep when you need to.

You say MM came with you to the appointment? Does this mean he's going to stick around and be part of his child's life? And, (if you're in a telling mood) does he plan on telling his wife that he's having another child with another woman?

MakeLemonade

I am happy for you G, as much as I love my twins, and believe it to have been a good strength, character & love-expanding experience for myself - I know it seemed awfully overwhelming for you to think of having 2 babies, and well, it was overwhelming for me, even with a hubby to help out ALOT. So, I imagine that probably helps you to be more comfortable with the idea - one baby, you could handle yourself, even if mom and friends didn't help much at all. I am sure of it!

There is lots to look forward to - enjoy the ride! And get lots of sleep - that is going to be a thing of the past in 6 or 7 months. ;)

I think they were able to determine the sex of my boys by 14 weeks, so you may know sooner rather than later - sometimes it just depends on their position, etc. I would definitely find out, but wait to buy things a little bit down the road, I have heard stories of them saying one thing and later changing the sex as it becomes easier to see, so just make sure they are relatively confident in what they tell you.

90 days before due date is a good time to start shopping for gender specific items - clothing, bedding, etc. most stores have a 90 day return policy so keep your receipts - there have been cases where they were wrong in their analysis and the parents don't find out just how wrong till birth day! Whoa! :eek: Oh, did I say a girl - I meant a BOY!

LucreziaBorgia
I'm sorry to hear you had a premature labor. How is your baby now?

I'm noticable naked, but with clothes on you cannot tell. Like I said, I had a little bulge to begin with and was almost Always bloated, and people were used to seeing that (if they even noticed), but with clothes on I am not noticable yet. I too am petite about 5 feet as well. The dad is a very tall guy but I am hoping for a little baby like I myself was.

I can't wait to hear the heartbeat. Two things I'm looking forward to is hearing the heartbeat for the first time, and the baby cry for the first time. I become emotional thinking about this :love:

1. She is fine, normal and healthy. She is 11 now, 5 foot 1 - really tall for her age. The only long term problems were asthma (the lining on her lungs didn't have time to fully form), and shingles (one of the nurses in the neonatal unit had active chicken pox and touched all the babies - and they all had to be vaccinated, so instead of getting chicken pox like most kids hers went straight to shingles - its only one patch though, just under her eye - no biggie, we watch it carefully when it flares up, usually twice a year or so.)

2. I wasn't noticeable at all really with clothes on. There were people at work who didn't even know I was pregnant. I kind of feel like I lost out my chance at seeing what it is *really* like to be pregnant in that third trimester - no more babies for me, so I won't ever know. I'll live it vicariously - between updates from you and BO! :bunny:

3. The heartbeat was a profound moment for me, as was the first time I felt her move.

• Author
1. She is fine, normal and healthy. She is 11 now, 5 foot 1 - really tall for her age. The only long term problems were asthma (the lining on her lungs didn't have time to fully form), and shingles (one of the nurses in the neonatal unit had active chicken pox and touched all the babies - and they all had to be vaccinated, so instead of getting chicken pox like most kids hers went straight to shingles - its only one patch though, just under her eye - no biggie, we watch it carefully when it flares up, usually twice a year or so.)

2. I wasn't noticeable at all really with clothes on. There were people at work who didn't even know I was pregnant. I kind of feel like I lost out my chance at seeing what it is *really* like to be pregnant in that third trimester - no more babies for me, so I won't ever know. I'll live it vicariously - between updates from you and BO! :bunny:

3. The heartbeat was a profound moment for me, as was the first time I felt her move.

Well your daughter is taller than me and I'm 26 :)

As for the nurse, WTF? I hope she was fired. What a moron she is. :mad:

That's amazing you felt her move the first time you heard her heart beat. Wow...that sent chills up and down my spine.

whichwayisup:

Yes, he said he would come and he did--he showed up as he promised. What does this mean? God only knows. Does his wife know yet? No. Right now is not the time to tell her. They are dealing with some personal / private matters right now and I am being understanding not because I have to, but because I want to. He knows he eventually has to tell her, but now is just not the right time.

blind_otter: "Whenever I hear one of those babies cry I feel a twinge in my uterus. It's a strange sensation, when I wasn't pregnant I never got these weird feelings. Also, hearing babies cry makes me cry. :o "

I must be wrong...cuz every time I hear a baby crying, I want to scream and pull my hair out of my head...

:o

• Author
I am happy for you G, as much as I love my twins, and believe it to have been a good strength, character & love-expanding experience for myself - I know it seemed awfully overwhelming for you to think of having 2 babies, and well, it was overwhelming for me, even with a hubby to help out ALOT. So, I imagine that probably helps you to be more comfortable with the idea - one baby, you could handle yourself, even if mom and friends didn't help much at all. I am sure of it!

There is lots to look forward to - enjoy the ride! And get lots of sleep - that is going to be a thing of the past in 6 or 7 months. ;)

I think they were able to determine the sex of my boys by 14 weeks, so you may know sooner rather than later - sometimes it just depends on their position, etc. I would definitely find out, but wait to buy things a little bit down the road, I have heard stories of them saying one thing and later changing the sex as it becomes easier to see, so just make sure they are relatively confident in what they tell you.

90 days before due date is a good time to start shopping for gender specific items - clothing, bedding, etc. most stores have a 90 day return policy so keep your receipts - there have been cases where they were wrong in their analysis and the parents don't find out just how wrong till birth day! Whoa! :eek: Oh, did I say a girl - I meant a BOY!

Thank you :) Yes, it's a major relief. One less thing to worry about...as awful as that sounds.

• Author
One thing I am not looking forward to is the poo. I have a poo phobia.

HA HA!!! Well who looks forward to that? When I was younger I babysat for this family and they had a baby. I watched her for hours a day at times. Anyway, one day she was sitting on my lap and exploded all over herself--some on my jeans, all up her back...EVERY WHERE!!!

I began freaking out. I didn't know WTH was wrong with her. The cleaning ladies were there, THANK THE LORD. The one lady cleaned the baby for me as I was freaking out. I was 19 or 20. The poo was ALL OVER!!!!

The baby girl did it again a few months after that but I had it under control this next time it happened. So I certainly hope to NEVER encounter that again...:o

LucreziaBorgia

As for the nurse, WTF? I hope she was fired. What a moron she is. :mad:

That's amazing you felt her move the first time you heard her heart beat. Wow...that sent chills up and down my spine.

I never found out what happened to that nurse. I was pissed off, yes.

Oh, I should have separated out that last sentence. I was meaning to say that the heartbeat was profound, and so was the first time I felt her move. It wasn't simultaneous, though I would imagine if it did happen that way for someone it would be very profound!

• Author
I never found out what happened to that nurse. I was pissed off, yes.

Oh, I should have separated out that last sentence. I was meaning to say that the heartbeat was profound, and so was the first time I felt her move. It wasn't simultaneous, though I would imagine if it did happen that way for someone it would be very profound!

I'm sure she was fired--that's a health hazard and the BOH would not put up with that unless the hopsital covered her case.

Okay, I see.

StartingOver07
She said next month (well, during May more or less) she will hopefully be able to determine the sex, but it was too soon now. A heartbeat will be heard around June for us. Very emotional I have to say.

Are you sure you got this right? You will typically hear a heartbeat at 10-12 weeks (maybe earlier if you are thin), which would be in April, not June.

Determinng sex typically can't happen until 16 weeks or so.

I doesn't make sense that your gyno said she'll be able to determine sex sooner than when you'll be able to hear a heartbeat.

Edited to add...

I just read your other thread. Something here is not right. I think you need a new gyno. On February 25 you wrote:

I'm sure some of you know me as the girl who has been knocked up by her married lover. Well today I had a obgyn apointment and she said she is pretty positive I am having twins... As if my life wasn't complicated enough.

If you're 8 weeks now, you were just over 4 weeks then. How the heck could your gyn have been "pretty positive" about twins so early in the game?

Edited by StartingOver07

I decided I didn't want to know the gender before hand, but that was because I was so sure it was a boy and all the relatives had bets going.

But two days before they induced me, they gave me another ultrasound and the image was so clear (not to mention the baby was in a rather immodest position!:D) it was very clear I had been right all along. Boy indeed!

Most people find out so they can begin to buy clothing and decide how to decorate the nursery. It also cuts half the names to choose from out of the equation.

Congradulations!

• Author
Are you sure you got this right? You will typically hear a heartbeat at 10-12 weeks (maybe earlier if you are thin), which would be in April, not June.

Determinng sex typically can't happen until 16 weeks or so.

I doesn't make sense that your gyno said she'll be able to determine sex sooner than when you'll be able to hear a heartbeat.

Edited to add...

I just read your other thread. Something here is not right. I think you need a new gyno. On February 25 you wrote:

If you're 8 weeks now, you were just over 4 weeks then. How the heck could your gyn have been "pretty positive" about twins so early in the game?

Maybe I did misunderstand here about the heart beat and sex. Maybe she did say next time we can try for the heart beat, and then in May the sex. I need to start listening better :laugh:

She thought it could be twins because of my HG levels, as I have stated before. She didn't say it definitely was twins, but she was having a hunch that maybe. Then on the US, she though there could have been two in there but then said it could be a shaddow so we can check again next time. Today was next time and this time she was certain she only saw one.

Well..since your nearing the end of the first trimester.. if you had morning sickness.. and lots of fatigue.. you should be feeling better. If I remember correctly, you should be able to hear the heartbeat around 12 weeks.. and an ultrasound to see baby at about week 20. I wish you the best of luck with your pregnancy..Enjoy.

Hugs

AP:)

• Author

Thank you :) I guess every person and pregnancy is different. Some say 14 weeks for sex, others 20...well we'll see :) Just as long as next time she doesn't say "ahh, there's the other one..." :confused:

I had one occasion of morning sickness but then I thought maybe it was a virus since it was going around the office. That was unpleasant :sick:. My current fatigue is no different than my normal fatigue. Some days I feel larger than others??? My OB said it's because I'm bloated. Well like I said, even when not preg I could stick my stomach out so far it would look like I'm five months pregnant (embarassing...:o).

I guess my 12th week will be the last of the first trimester, then I can begin to tell everyone. Very few know right now. I want to make sure I'm past the scary zone...

• Author

I meant hCG levels...not HG! :o And now my levels are normalish and I shouldn't be concerned about the high levels from last time. Now my levels are for a normal pregnancy at 7-8 weeks while last time when I was around 4 weeks, my levels were reading about a 5-6 week pregnancy. I don't understand what any of this means anyway, but as long as my levels are fine. She was also telling me that sometimes high levels can mean a molar pregnancy, but that isn't the case with me. Also, certain drugs and medications can trigger the levels as well. She said that it can also be a genetic thing since my mother experienced high levels four out of her five pregnancies (I was one of those pregnancies).

Thank you :) I guess every person and pregnancy is different. Some say 14 weeks for sex, others 20...well we'll see :) Just as long as next time she doesn't say "ahh, there's the other one..." :confused:

I had one occasion of morning sickness but then I thought maybe it was a virus since it was going around the office. That was unpleasant :sick:. My current fatigue is no different than my normal fatigue. Some days I feel larger than others??? My OB said it's because I'm bloated. Well like I said, even when not preg I could stick my stomach out so far it would look like I'm five months pregnant (embarassing...:o).

I guess my 12th week will be the last of the first trimester, then I can begin to tell everyone. Very few know right now. I want to make sure I'm past the scary zone...

Well.. you are very lucky that you have not had much morning sickness. oh its the worst! I had it sooo bad with my Daughter. I am so excited for you. I loved beign preggo..even with all the hormones and.. the rest of the stuff that comes along. The end result is awesome. Best of luck.

• Author
Well.. you are very lucky that you have not had much morning sickness. oh its the worst! I had it sooo bad with my Daughter. I am so excited for you. I loved beign preggo..even with all the hormones and.. the rest of the stuff that comes along. The end result is awesome. Best of luck.

Thank you :) I'm very excited too :)

Last pregnancy I had I didn't have morning sickness either. Some neuasia but that was about it. My mother had very minor morning sickness--I guess this is genetic? Who knows. I have to say though that some mornings when I wake up, my boobs are in so much pain. Similiar to how they would feel right before my period--well no, a little worse. The thought hurts--Ouch :mad:.