Do you walk around naked in front of your kids?

RecordProducer

RecordProducer

I used to always wear underwear when my kids were around (not a bra though), but somehow they would sneak into the bathroom or the bedroom or they would wake up earlier... and see me completely unclothed. :confused:

It used to piss me off, but I think it's even more disgusting to hide your body as if it's something you should be ashamed off. My ex husband would hide his intimate parts from the kids (not from me) as if they're the secret government code of nuclear weapon activation and I thought that was ridiculous and led to twisted ideas about sexuality (something like the religious sex taboo). I mean, I was his second woman in bed and his second - wife! :laugh:

... And since I have never enforced discipline with my kids (they are pretty good, but they are still not sure if I am their parent or they're mine), all I could say is a democratic "For god's sake, don't stare at or comment my ass, I am your mother! :mad:"

So they don't stare anymore and I try not to "advertise" my goodies (I am shy anyway when it comes to nudity, I don't even wear shirts that show part of my boobs), but we're a no-privacy kinda family. :D

LucreziaBorgia

I would change in front of my kid, undress and walk to the shower, and she would in front of me too, etc. There never used to be a problem with it, but here lately she wants her privacy, and wants to respect mine too (ie: she is no longer comfortable with me being naked in front of her) - so, I change somewhere else, or turn my back when I undress and I try not to be around when she is doing the same. It makes me a little sad, but I can understand it - part of growing up I guess.

I don't know how to phrase this question.

But, I wonder if women who are shaved or pierced would do this too, or if they feel like maybe they shouldn't.

It may be a cultural thing or a generational thing. I personally don't like the idea of older people being naked around children. I would never do it and if any kids of mine ever came home and told me they were at the neighbors and the old mad had his pecker out I would go over and shoot it off.

There are some things that need to remain private. Human beings need to retain some dignity. There's just something dead wrong about being naked around your kids, particularly if they are older (above two or three).

I also don't believe children should be allowed to roam the neighborhood butt naked as many do. Great way to attract sickies and child predators.

I make sure I'm never undressed around our 11 year old. We often get in the hot tub together and my H and son are naked but not me. Our son hasn't reached that stage where he's shy about being naked in front of either of us. I just wouldn't feel comfortable being naked around him.

My wife and I are fairly casual about nudity, especially now with just a 7-year old at home. Having a very private yard, we often skinny dip and our son joins us often. As with the other kids, he'll get more self-conscious as he gets older and we'll respect that. We've tried to teach our kids not to be ashamed of their bodies but to also observe appropriate boundaries. It's a balancing act...

Mr. Lucky

It may be a cultural thing or a generational thing. I personally don't like the idea of older people being naked around children. I would never do it and if any kids of mine ever came home and told me they were at the neighbors and the old mad had his pecker out I would go over and shoot it off.

I also don't believe children should be allowed to roam the neighborhood butt naked as many do. Great way to attract sickies and child predators.

Tony, I think you're mixing two vastly different things here. Nudity within your own home, within your own family on the way to the shower or whatever, is a hugely different thing from being naked around other people, especially adults outside the family, and I think kids don't have any problem understanding that boundary pretty early on, because it flows from the parental/family bond, and I believe they recognize it as such.

And I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but no kids in any neighborhood I've ever lived in have made a practice of wandering around naked...

There are some things that need to remain private. Human beings need to retain some dignity. There's just something dead wrong about being naked around your kids, particularly if they are older (above two or three).

I strongly disagree that it is "dead wrong." I respect if that's the way you run your house, and I don't think your kids will be developmentally hurt by it, but by the same token, I don't agree that it is hands-down undignified or dead wrong.

As an example, I might add as a single dad of a daughter for a few years now, I'm glad that we've had a relatively open and relaxed approach because, thus far anyway, she has been comfortable discussing bodily functions, sex, etc. with me. Some people are as uncomfortable with these subjects - out of privacy and dignity - as they are nudity.

Hey, we don't parade around and flaunt it, but if someone needs a towel in the shower or wants to throw their clothes in the hamper and walk to the bathroom with nothing on, we also don't make a big deal out of hiding our eyes and freaking out over it. In our house, it's not "dead wrong."

I agree with the other posters in that as my kids get older, I fully expect they will naturally reel in their own boundaries, and I will completely respect that in kind. There will come a point where, long after the time when my daughter would call to me to ask for a towel or a new bottle of shampoo, she will probably start locking the bathroom door. I agree with LB; I anticipate this with wistful feelings, as it will be a sign of a transition in that parental/child bond I spoke of earlier, and a part of the natural separation and independence that is the whole point of growing up. But is is a major point of growing up, so it's also a good and normal sign...

Different strokes for diffferent folks. I tend to be more bashful and have no desire to be nude around any of my kids nor to have them nude around me.

Now they are older at this point (pre teen and up) and a mix of boys and girls.

Certainly, I think that it is inappropriate for an older kid (say over 10 or 11) to see the opposit sex parent naked. But that could just be me and the american upbringing.

I also understand that it is a lot easier for women to be naked around each other than it is for men to. So maybe mom/daughter is fine. But not being a mom--I dunno!

My parents don't really do it and never have, but my mom has changed in front of me and vice versa. An ex of mine who I was with for a while grew up in a very nude household. When I went to his family beach house and forgot my bathing suit his mom was like "don't worry you can go naked" I don't think it's a big deal though I wouldn't want other adults naked around my kid, unless it was a nude beach or something.

I don't think there is anything wrong with being nude in front of your kids...of the same sex... same goes for men with their daughters up to a certain age..

As for the same sex ... what is the big deal... do you want your kids to be all weirded out when they have to shower with other kids in Highschool or college?

I can remember this one kid who showered in his underwear.... God was he tormented by the "bullies"

... same goes for men with their daughters up to a certain age..

and what age whould that be? when they start menstrating?

so soon as blood starts coming out her privates then dad must put on the bathrobe?

:rolleyes:

and what age whould that be? when they start menstrating?

so soon as blood starts coming out her privates then dad must put on the bathrobe?

:rolleyes:

I really could not answer this truthfully... as I only have boys..

but NO...I don't think I would wait to till a daughter of mine was menstruating to cover up....that would be kinda... creepy.

So... Alpha... you have an opinion?

Since I never wanted to hear my parents having sex, I sure as hell didn't want to seem them butt naked.

That's why doors and eyelids were created. To keep certain images from entering my mind.

• Author
RecordProducer

Well I hear different opinions from you, guys. The thing is I never thought I could walk naked in front of 8-year old sons, but since we live in a small two-bedroom house, it seems almost impossible to make sure they never see me unclothed, unless I hide myself. Heck, our doors don't even close well (we're looking for a new house now), let alone be locked. I do feel uncomfortable about it and I scream at them to get out when I am in the bathroom and they get in (we only have one toilet in the house).

When we moved in with my husband, my sons felt embarrassed to walk around in their undies in front of hubby, because their father kept his privates hidden from his sons, as if they're made of gold. :rolleyes: That attitude bothered me, because I don't think nudity is such a big deal. I don't hide my breasts from them, but I try hard not to walk around without my panties on. I was just wondering how other people felt about it and dealt with it. It all started with me hiding my intimate parts, but once in a while they would see me accidently and give me the "Aaaaaaa, I see your ass!" or I would catch them staring at whatever they could see with enormous curiosity. So when the accidents repeated several times, they finally lost interest in seeing me naked. It became normal to them that their mother has a body.

Regarding same sex, my mother or grand-mother and I have always felt free to be naked around each other and I don't see anything wrong in it.

About neighbors exposing their privates in front of my sons... I don't know how that subject popped up, but I would neither be comfortable with that nor would I walk around in front of my neighbors in my underwear, not to mention nude (unless the neighbors' son is 35 and very cute ;)).

Somebody mentioned "American upbringing" and I think the American standard of living, that brought huge houses with separate rooms, closets, and bathrooms for each family member, contributed to the need and opportunity for physical privacy. In most European apartments or houses, all family members share one bathroom so it's hard to determine the date when you say "OK, from this day on, I will no longer walk naked around my 4-year old." :D

Is it sexually traumatic for our kids to see us naked? I don't think it is when they invade my space and I tell them to get lost, cuz I need to wipe my ass or get dressed. However, if I would watch TV lying naked on the sofa, I think they might feel like my sexuality was imposed on their psyche. But that's just my opinion; I wanted to hear opinions from other parents, and certainly we play a lot of things by ear when we have kids. I think the question is: does anyone get hurt from seeing their parents nude or growing up with parents who obsessively hid their bodies?

I actually think that the more you hide the more fascinated your kids get with nudity and sexuality. And unquenched sexual desires and obsessions are not healthy. Maybe some day psychology will reveal that men stop desiring their wives, because in their minds they're not supposed to feel horny for any members of the household! :laugh:

ConfusedButLoved

I really had absolutely NO interest in seeing either of my parents naked. My mom and I have always been changing in front of each other but not my dad and I. I dont see anything wrong with seeing the same sex naked, in fact I think it is healthy for pre adolescence to learn about what will be happening to their bodies. As for the opposite sex, I still take showers with my 2 yr old son when I'm in a hurry to get us both bathed, and I change in front of him, but I will soon not feel that being around him completely nude is appropriate. However, after saying that, I also dont feel like it should be made into a big deal if a child does get an accidental peek at the parent of the opposite sex as if they have committed the ultimate sin.

I should throw in that even though I didn't see my father nude growing up, I had no problem whatsoever changing in front of guys or girls in high school ;) I don't feel like it hurt me in any way in the least.

I suppose its different for me, but I HAVE to make sure that I dont walk around naked in my house. My SO has 2 boys from his previous marriage. One of them (the eldest who's 14 nearly 15) lives with us full time and the other who's 11 nearly 12 stays with us every Thursday and every weekend. Now, I am not really that enthused about walking around naked anyway, I don't feel comfortable doing it and to be honest, it used to make me feel REALLY uncomfortable when I was younger and I saw my mom parading around with her tits out!! But in my situation, I feel it would be totally inappropriate to walk around naked in front of someone's kids who are not mine. I think THEY would feel even more disturbed by the whole thing than me anyway. They'd probably have nightmares if they saw my wobbly bits hanging out everywhere, and I'd get blamed for physcologically damaging them for life :laugh::laugh:

I think the thing that does get to me a bit is like if I'm in bed naked with my SO, and I need to get up to go for a pee, he says something like "You better cover yourself up cause the boys are only in the other room and it would go down like a sack of **** if Justina (ex wife) hears that you've been strutting around butt naked in from of them" Now like I said before I dont feel comfortable walking around naked anyway and have never done so in front of them, but when old moral high ground starts telling me to get dressed just to walk two feet to the bathroom then I do get a bit PO. It feels like I have to walk on eggshells in that respect in what essentially is my home too. I mean if they get a quick glimpse of me when i'm dashing like lightening through the hallway then so what? It's not like I'm pole dancing in the front room with nothing but a pair of earrings and my wristwatch on is it :rolleyes::laugh:

I became exceedingly modest around the house when I moved in with my current husband and his three sons from a previous marriage.

I do think it can be upsetting to teenaged boys, in particular, to see their mother naked. I think they sometimes feel a sexual response which is upsetting to them because it is their mother and they understand the taboo. My son does not even like to see me in a low cut dress. I would not risk upsetting him further by wearing even less.

I have an adult female friend who has expressed to me her wish that her mother had not walked around the house naked. I don't recall how she described her discomfort, I am sorry to say. That friend has a very healthy attitude towards and interest in sex, so I don't believe her attitude about her mother's nudity is a symptom of some pathology.

ConfusedButLoved
I do think it can be upsetting to teenaged boys, in particular, to see their mother naked. I think they sometimes feel a sexual response which is upsetting to them because it is their mother and they understand the taboo.

Very good point! I didn't think of that but I'm glad you brought that up!

Also I was thinking about it after reading the OP, and thought about (and I believe someone brought this point up) other cultures and how most of the men and women walk around naked all day in front of everyone. However American culture (which is the only I can speak for) is a bit more modest. It would be like going to a nudist country and encouraging them to be clothed. IMO :D

i always felt comfortable nude around my boys as they were growing up and they felt the same way as well. i always wanted them to feel a healthy appreciation for nudity.

they always understood that if they wanted to do things on their "own" that it should be considered in the privacy of their own room.

i hate guilt - it is so unproductive...

as they have gotten older - we do tend to keep things covered more than years ago - but that is only because you have to read their comfort level as they become teenagers (or have friends spend the night).

• Author
RecordProducer

You guys have a good point: it IS all about a comfort level.

I have to walk on eggshells in that respect in what essentially is my home too.
Oh, I hear you. I am sorry that you have to live with his kids and walk on eggshells. It's not a comfortable feeling. :(

Maybe if you would walk around naked, Justina will make sure she removes them from your house! :laugh:;)

justagirliegirl

Maybe until they were about 3 or 4 but that was it.

My kids don't want to see me naked and I don't want to see them naked either. I find it very easy to stay clothed around them. When I get up from bed, I put something on; a gown or something. Son comes out of his bedroom he is dressed.

• Author
RecordProducer
Maybe until they were about 3 or 4 but that was it.

My kids don't want to see me naked and I don't want to see them naked either. I find it very easy to stay clothed around them. When I get up from bed, I put something on; a gown or something. Son comes out of his bedroom he is dressed.

I didn't know you had kids, let alone big kids! :laugh:
lovelorcet

So this is actually something I find kind of interesting. I grew up in the States in a pretty up tight family as far as nudity goes... I maybe saw my parents naked once and even that is kind of a fuzzy memory. So I grow up and meet this german girl and then move to germany and things were totally different here. She has some younger siblings and there were times when we would have to share the bathroom all together. It would be very common for 2 people to be brushing their teeth, one in the shower and one on the toilet all naked or at different time points naked. Also, her parents had a sauna and a hottub at the house so it would be completely normal for the whole family, me, some neighbor, friends or who ever to be in the sauna at once. Clothes and towels are not worn in a german sauna ;-) Plus, going to the beach is also prettying interesting as there are many here where everyone is naked, been there with the whole family as well.

Anyways, so the point is there is a ton of nakedness here and I have to say I think it is great. It is so much easier in the morning to just be able to walk in and out of the bathroom. I never realized until I came here how "ashamed" I was of my body, like it is something to hide. I can definitely say if I ever get a chance to have kids that I will try to raise them as "naked" as possible.

Maybe if you would walk around naked, Justina will make sure she removes them from your house! :laugh:;)

Genius RP --- PURE GENIUS :lmao:;)