Daughter is a stripper and does seem to care about me anymore

My daughter has been stripping for about 2 years now. She turned 21 yrs old not to long ago and moved out to be with her friends. She doesn't really call or come by. She lives in a really nice house with 4 other strippers and it seems like that is her world and she doesnt care about me(her mother) anymore. When I do call her she is kinda short with me.

I have told her that it is important to keep in touch with her mom and family because we are all we have but that doesn't seem to matter to her at this time.

I feel like I lost my daughter to money and stuff. We have not had a hard time in the past getting along. Regular daughter/mom stuff .

I just feel really sick about our relationship now and it just seems like she doesnt care about her mom anymore.

Any advice?

My daughter has been stripping for about 2 years now. She turned 21 yrs old not to long ago and moved out to be with her friends. She doesn't really call or come by. She lives in a really nice house with 4 other strippers and it seems like that is her world and she doesnt care about me(her mother) anymore. When I do call her she is kinda short with me.

I have told her that it is important to keep in touch with her mom and family because we are all we have but that doesn't seem to matter to her at this time.

I feel like I lost my daughter to money and stuff. We have not had a hard time in the past getting along. Regular daughter/mom stuff .

I just feel really sick about our relationship now and it just seems like she doesnt care about her mom anymore.

Any advice?

This must be extraordinarily hard for you... I feel for you. Eventhough it's hard to see our children doing things that we think might ruin their lives, there is not much we can do about it. She is living her life, she is young, hopefully she won't get into drugs... The only thing you can do right now is to let her know you love her and always will be there for her. She will be back to you ... later, she has things she wants to explore for the moment, she wants to live some experiences. Take care of yourself...and try not to think too much about the bad side.

Good luck!

• Author

I dont really know what to do but pray. She has just left my side and that's it. Not really concerned about her mom

curiousnycgirl

I'm not sure how long this has been going on, but it is a normal part of growing up and moving out. I know it hurts you, but give it time - she'll come back.

Right now she is enjoying her independence - in time she will realize she can do that while also enjoying time with you. I know it's hard to believe right now, but I'm very confident she'll come back.

• 3 weeks later...
MrsHellFire

Always give her support and a shoulder to cry on if she needs it. Show her you care. As long as she knows you are there for her, she will reach out to you when she needs you. So many parents have abandoned their kids when their child does something they disapprove of.. only for their kids to end up dead or heavy in drugs. Don't be criticising of her lifestyle either.. she will less likely open up to you and not want to deal with you. I have family members that are very negative or always have something insulting to say, so most of the family cuts their conversations short with them. She also might feel ashamed talking to her family because of her present occupation- especially if they are openly against it.

Other than that, there really is nothing you can do otherwise because she is an "adult" and has the right to make her own choices. So just remember to keep a positive attitude when you talk to her.

How far has she moved away?

LucreziaBorgia

When you are living a life that you think your parents may not approve of (even if they are supportive), the subconscious guilt manifests itself in the form of distance.

I went through a similar stage in my life. Not the stripping part, but I did do a great many things that I know that my parents would not have been proud of, and I distanced myself from pretty much my entire family. I wasn't angry with them. I was angry with myself in that I didn't live up to their expectations and my own. I can only see that in hindsight though, after many years.

The best you can do is to continue to offer support while maintaining the distance that she is comfortable with. Any attempts to draw her back in will not be appreciated and will be met with resentment. Let her come to you.