Sister and her family soon to be homeless!

inhighwater

inhighwater

My 35 year old (9 years older than me by the way) sister's constant debt (a lot of it was caused by herself and her family) is causing a big headache in our family.

My sister has lived in the same place for approx. 5 to 6 years and her landlord just recently came around and said he is going to sell the house. My sister has been behind on rent several times up to thousands of dollars behind and still is behind on rent. My parents and I know that no one in their right mind is going to rent to them. My parents will not lie for her to say that she has been living with them and paying them rent. My parents, myself, nor my older brother (he is older than sis and I) will take them in. (I have no room in my house for them. I have a very small house.)

She is married and has three childen ranging from 11 to 15. I am married and have no children. Both her and her husband work. My husband and I both work also. They make only approx. 500 - 700 dollars less then my husband and I. My mom has sat down with her and tried to help her with a budget but sis always somehow ends up in the negative to the bank.

Now, I found out that her electric is getting shut off for not paying all or any of their bill and it is hot outside.

My parents, brother, and I have gave them money and paid several things different times to try and help them get back on their feet. My brother-in-law was laid off work from approx. fall last year until around Spring this year but now has a full time job again that pays him decent. They just got done last year with getting out of debt. Part due to medical bills and part due to themselves spending money on stupid things. I also know what it is like to be in high debt due to medical bills (it's not fun!) but now I'm back on my feet and doing well. So you would think that they would be back on their feet, right? NOT!

They are still bugging my parents and I to help them with things. This bugging for help has been going on for approx. 3 to 4 years. Before that they were doing fine on their own.

I even sat down today and tried to do an approx. budget for them and I see that even if they are paying a back pay on top of their regular bill to a utility company or the landlord that they should still have money in their pocket, food on the table, and gas in their car.

You know it's one thing when it's adults and they are doing it to themselves but my poor babies (my nieces and nephew) are going to be homeless with them. It's driving me crazy thinking about that. My nieces and nephew are the only reason I have helped them cause I know a lot of the debt is caused by stupidity.

Help! Any suggestions?

They will be fine I promise, if they are both working they will fuigure it out, they have to, let them fuigure it out and don't stress about it, if you stress about it you will just end up helping

would you be willing to raise the kids for several months until your sister gets her act together? that's the only way you can ensure their well-being, IMHO

• Author
inhighwater

I would be willing to take them for a while until she could get everything straightened out but she would not like that idea cause she is so attached to her kids that she doesn't like them gone from her side long. All the kids are mama's kids. Their dad would miss them, too. That is a good suggestion to bring up when it comes to them living on the streets.

Even though I'm mad at my sister and brother-in-law, I don't want to see them out on the streets ethier. I don't know what to do with those two?

Out in this area when families with children have no housing, are temporarily homeless, they are helped by an agency which places them into shelters but they are actually very nice spacious and clean houses. I know a couple of people who've stayed in them. You are only offered that option if you do have children, and while there you get help finding a permanent place of residence. It's a fantastic program - - one of the few government programs I'm delighted to have my taxpayer money paying for. One of the families I know was put up in a lovely motel until one of the houses opened up. Believe me, they weren't suffering..do they have something or anything similar to that in your area??

sweetserendipity
Originally posted by Stone

They will be fine I promise, if they are both working they will fuigure it out, they have to, let them fuigure it out and don't stress about it, if you stress about it you will just end up helping

What language or dialect is the word "fuigure"?

Originally posted by sweetserendipity

What language or dialect is the word "fuigure"?

:rolleyes: It's fat finger syndrome LOL I often type with one hand :laugh: