Mother stopped talking to me over something so silly..

Im 22, female, and i still live with my parents. Basically im a good daughter, i havent given them that much grief, and ive never been one to swear at them or anything like that.

The other day in the car my mother did something to the cd player which spurred me to say something to her which wasnt very pleasant...i said sorry and that it was unintentional, as it was truely a fraudian slip. She just went quiet after telling me off for what i said.

I again said sorry, she didnt reply.

This happened on wednesday..it is now friday and still...nothing...she wont talk to me!

She will only talk to me when she answers the phone, otherwise in the car or if we are in the same room she is deadly quiet.

I again last night tried to talk to her but now i am ANNOYED.

I said sorry, i tried to talk to her about it, she is being childish i think.

What do i do in this situation? let her go on being silly or just talk to her like nothing happened? Ive said my sorries, what more can i do?!

What'd you say that was so bad? :confused:

She can't go on forever like this (well, let's hope not anyway), maybe she'll come to. She just has to realize that sometimes people talk before they think.

Are there other children in the family?

Send her a card or bake her some cookies. Then just try to never do it again. :)

• Author

Um well i swore at her UNINTENTIONALLY might i add, but she seems to hold a grudge forever...

I have 2 younger brothers.

I have said my apologies! I feel like im running after a sulking child!!!

FolderWife

Let someone that you love with your heart wide open say something hurtful like that to you, and see how soon you want to speak to them and make up.

My husband is dumb like you. He'll say the MEANEST thing to me. Then, five minutes later, he's trying to act like it didn't happen. He will apologize.

HELLO! I didn't say, "f*** you, you stupid Biotch!" to him, so he doesn't know how bad it hurts! And apparently, you don't either.

After I married my mouthy husband, I realized how hurtful some of the mean things that I said to my mom were before. :(

circusfood

geez...

FolderWife, it's a bit hurtful to say she is DUMB.

I'm not really sure why she

isn't giving the full description of what she said or what her mother

actually did......

circusfood

if she said something like:

- "get your f***ing hands off my CD player"

- "Don't touch my radio, you Bitch"

- "Don't f***ing touch that"

- "What the f*** are you doing, Mom?"

Then I could see her mom getting mad, and she should be.

Have some respect.

But if her mom was being mean to her and doing something

mean, even though it's your mom and you're suposed to be

respectful, I could see Daughter getting a bit pissy and saying

something bad. And if Daughter apologizes a couple of times,

with love and respect and not a "what's your problem, i made

a mistake, forget it" attitude, then Mom shouldn't act so silly.

• Author

I basically said something along the lines of now you've f**king done it (it was in another language, our ethnic language) and it is something she has said to me maaaaaaaaaaany times...and i guess unconsiously i said it back to her without thinking...it was the first time ive ever sworn at her, and i was sorry straight away.

I have never EVER sworn at my parents, and i am NOT dumb thank you very much.

It was the first time in my life something escaped my mouth. And i did say i was sorry and that it was unintentional many MANY times.

It sounds to be like your husband is verbally abusing you Folderwife, which is something i am all too familair with as my ex did it to me. And i certainly dont think you can compare a once-in-a-lifetime slip up with being verbally abused all the time as you are. I would never ever EVER EVER call my mother a bitch or anything like that.....that is just downright disgusting if you ask me. So please dont go around calling people dumb without knowing all the facts first.

I guess I would say to her, "Mom, I said I'm sorry, and I really am, now will you please accept my apology?" She's then faced with a direct question which in theory should break the silence. If it doesn't, after that, you've done all you can do to make up for it and if she continues to sulk I guess you're going to have to find a way to ignore it until she decides to snap out of it.

• Author

Thanks everyone, i did talk to her again this morning and said to her that i really am sorry, and that i have never sworn at her in my life as she knows, so she should understand that it was a genuine error.

She accepted my apology thankfully and everything is aye-ok :)