LoveShack.org Community Forums

LoveShack.org Community Forums (http://www.loveshack.org/forums/)
-   Family (http://www.loveshack.org/forums/familial/family/)
-   -   Do you have a good relationship with your mom/dad/brother/sister? (http://www.loveshack.org/forums/familial/family/652084-do-you-have-good-relationship-your-mom-dad-brother-sister)

ZayKayWill 9th February 2018 10:17 AM

Do you have a good relationship with your mom/dad/brother/sister?

Mom - Amazing woman. I have so much respect for her it's not even funny.

Dad - Honestly we didn't have a good relationship for a while. Very alpha "I'm always right" kind of personality. Honestly there was a point in time in when the whole family wanted him dead...He can still be a jerk sometimes but I know he would die for me. He says I'm his absolute favorite person...so I mean... gotta give him credit for that you know?

Brother- 11 years older than me. Computer engineer. Always got along great. I honestly can't think of one time when we fought.

Sister - 14 years older than me (Im 27). Love her too. Although since she tended to have some very extremist Christian views, we never exactly were 'close' but I always loved her. She treated me like her kid when I was born honestly.

Man. My family is pretty awesome now that I look at the big picture. Definitely super thankful to be so blessed. :/

noelle303 9th February 2018 11:53 AM

Yes, my parents are amazing. They definitely gave me a great childhood and continue to be my number one supporters well into adulthood.

I would say that they have the perfect balance of being actual parents with boundaries, but still being very open and relaxed, as well as having their own life but still always being there for me.

Definitely the kind of parents I aspire to be to my own child.

alphamale 9th February 2018 11:57 AM

I am very close to my immediate family

Shanex 9th February 2018 12:14 PM

Yes I do.

No siblings here, but both parents while they have their flaws are good. My father can still sometimes be obnoxious or silly (to put it nicely) but I cannot complain much. I am not perfect either.

Same with uncles, aunts and the remaining grandma. All good.

d0nnivain 9th February 2018 12:38 PM

I'm an only child. Both of my parents are gone now & I miss them.

Thoughout my life I had a difficult relationship with my mother. She was a Tiger Mom before that term was coined. She was a force to be reckoned with -- smart, driven, independent & a woman ahead of her time who had lived through a rough life; my grandmother was neglectful & verbally abusive after my grandfather died when my mom was 12. As I got older mom & I made peace sort of . . . it was more like a mutual respect for the other's power / anger & ability to hold a grudge. We didn't talk about anything important ever because she didn't really respect me but we co-existed. She developed Alzheimer's at the end of her life. I was her caregiver & fiercest protector.

I always had a great relationship with my dad. We would talk about anything & everything. He was the peace-maker between my mom & me. My heart broke for him in the 18 months between my mom's death & his. He missed the love of his life so much.

ZayKayWill 9th February 2018 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d0nnivain (Post 7534160)
I'm an only child. Both of my parents are gone now & I miss them.

Thoughout my life I had a difficult relationship with my mother. She was a Tiger Mom before that term was coined. She was a force to be reckoned with -- smart, driven, independent & a woman ahead of her time who had lived through a rough life; my grandmother was neglectful & verbally abusive after my grandfather died when my mom was 12. As I got older mom & I made peace sort of . . . it was more like a mutual respect for the other's power / anger & ability to hold a grudge. We didn't talk about anything important ever because she didn't really respect me but we co-existed. She developed Alzheimer's at the end of her life. I was her caregiver & fiercest protector.

I always had a great relationship with my dad. We would talk about anything & everything. He was the peace-maker between my mom & me. My heart broke for him in the 18 months between my mom's death & his. He missed the love of his life so much.

What happened to them if you don't mind me asking?

littleblackheart 9th February 2018 1:05 PM

Yes.

My sisters are like best friends, even though I probably wouldn't have chosen them for friends were we not related (I don't know if that makes sense!). We rely on each other for anything and we have each other's back always. They are fabulous aunties and great women in general.

My parents make an extremely dysfunctional couple together but they are good people individually, my mother especially. I have a lot of respect for them for different reasons.

All in all, I consider myself lucky.

carhill 9th February 2018 1:07 PM

My exW called my family situation 'Beaver Cleaver'

No problems. Mom was a little too doting for my taste as an adult but I laid out some boundaries which she respected. Parents were married for life, mom outlived dad by about 25 years and never remarried.

CautiouslyOptimistic 9th February 2018 1:11 PM

My dad's been deceased for 11 years, but we had a very good relationship. Not physically affectionate, but he was very supportive and we were really good friends. He was a wonderful Pop-Pop to my kids.

My mom and I have butt heads a lot over the years, but we are very close. She annoys the hell out of me sometimes, but she's the most unselfish woman I know and just an all-around great Christian lady.

I have one sibling, an identical twin. We've always been very, very close, but the last couple of years have been very trying on our relationship. We aren't as close as we once were and it's one of the biggest stressors in my life right now.

d0nnivain 9th February 2018 1:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZayKayWill (Post 7534169)
What happened to them if you don't mind me asking?

The died. They were in their mid 80s. She had a stroke. He had a heart attack.

alphamale 9th February 2018 1:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carhill (Post 7534178)
My exW called my family situation 'Beaver Cleaver'

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Aiuta le mani 9th February 2018 2:03 PM

We had our ups and downs but my family is good! My father was distant while I was a child but we have a good relationship!
My mom and I have a great relationship now! growing up, she had to struggle with me a lot!
I have an older brother and sister and younger sister! we all get along well but I am bit closer to my sisters!
I have been blessed with a supportive family that loves my children and wants the best for me and my wife!

Rockdad 9th February 2018 2:55 PM

It was a family of 5 and I grew up alone in the home

Dad was brutally abusive to me.
Mom was busy running her own agenda, a very manipulative individual.
Older sister and dad was inseparable till the day he died.
Younger sister was a self centered spoiled screaming brat, at 50 yrs old she remains the same.

I did not shed a tear at dads funeral. I did not go travel to go to my mothers.
The only tear I had about mom was that I missed out on having a mom.

The good that came out of all this church going phony family is I learned exactly what not to do if I ever had a family. My kids and I are very close to this very day.

Casper. 11th February 2018 2:09 PM

Dad - He was my absolute hero once, i was such a daddys boy as a kid, but not any more.. I haven't spoken to him since i was 10. My sister has chosen to see him a few times in recent years, says he always asks after me but, it is what it is, I just can't

Mum - I don't think shes a bad person, just weak..... I've watched her go through so much man, an abusive partner in my teens, alcohol problems that she still suffers with to this day, depression... I tried, but you cant save someone from themselves so i guess i just detached from our relationship, self preservation thing.. its hard to watch someone destroy themselves.

When I was 15, this guy she was engaged to at the time, was abusive, he grabbed her in the kitchen and I went flying in and punched him.. he was 6'4 and built like a tank, I got a black eye, a split eyebrow (that i should have had stitched) and what I'm pretty sure was a broken rib...... and she didnt throw it out, she just made it all my fault! All i'd been trying to do was help her. We never really moved passed that.

I dont actively not speak to her or anything though, we just never do... I saw her last a couple of years ago she came to the hospital when i was medically discharged from army.

Sister (twin sister) - I'm not good enough with words to say what that girl means to me! She's a saint! It always felt like us against the world growing up! She's been my biggest cheerleader, my best friend, my organiser, my defender, my stand up comedian, a ruddy great headache, a teacher, a chef, a partner in crime. I don't know how people go through their lives without a sister like that! :laugh:

She got pregnant when she was 16, so that was why I signed up to serve, so i could provide for her and my nephew! (I used to send her almost all my wages home, and when I got medically discharged, i found out that all that time she'd been putting half or more of what I gave her in a bank account to give back to me!)
I love them both, endlessly :D

JustGettingBy 17th February 2018 1:18 PM

My mom and I have a very close relationship. She treats me like I'm still a lot younger than I am sometimes, but other than that its good.

My dad and I have our differences, but still have common respect.

My brother and I hated each other has kids, but now as adults we get along great.