LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Familial > Family

Blended Family Question / Issue

Family Parents too demanding? Sibling driving you mad? Tell us!

Like Tree10Likes
  • 2 Post By amaysngrace
  • 1 Post By TeddyPSmith
  • 2 Post By Popsicle
  • 3 Post By anika99
  • 1 Post By mikeylo
  • 1 Post By TeddyPSmith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th January 2018, 9:52 PM   #1
Established Member

Blended Family Question / Issue

I’ll preface by saying that the relationship with my gf of two years just ended but I have a question about an issue that was part of the catalyst for ending it. I have a 5 yo daughter from a previous marriage. I have 50% custody of my daughter. She has a 4 yo son from a previous relationship. The father is not present in his life at all and she had him full time. My issue is that I worried if we married, her son would be there full time and my daughter would be at my house part time. It felt like I’d be selling out my daughter or “cheating on her”. Does that make any sense? I’m very active in my daughters life and concerned about her well being. My ex didn’t seem very compassionate to my side of the story. She was almost cold. I told her that if she helped me feel better about this guilt, things could progress. She just didn’t seem to understand or try very hard. I felt like her son had a lot to gain from having me as a potential dad but I worrried that my daughter wouldn’t be gaining much from her potential stepmom. It even seemed like she might treat my daughter like a visitor. Anyway, I’m a bit devastated by the breakup but still waning some closure on this issue. Thanks for any advice.
TeddyPSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2018, 10:50 PM   #2
Established Member

You should trust your feelings. If something seemed off about her then it's probably best if it's over.

I'm sorry that you're hurting right now but sometimes you have to try people out to realize what you don't want in a partner as much as what you do.

She sounds like a stepping stone to something better. Hang in there. You did the right thing.
Old 28th January 2018, 11:27 PM   #3
Established Member

Definitely date a woman who doesn't have full custody.
Popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2018, 11:53 PM   #4
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popsicle View Post
Definitely date a woman who doesn't have full custody.
From personal experience?
anika99 likes this.
Old 29th January 2018, 12:10 AM   #5
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyPSmith View Post
From personal experience?
I'm a woman.
But I say that because you are right, your daughter may feel cheated, but at the same time, she has something that your gf's kid doesn't have - a second parent and time with them.

I think evening out the scales by dating someone who is in the same situation as you would be better.
Popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2018, 9:57 AM   #6
Established Member

I'm not sure what your gf was supposed to do. She has full custody of her son and her son doesn't have a father at all but she's supposed to feel bad because your daughter has 2 active parents in her life and a potential stepmom? Pretty sure you knew from the start that your gf was a single parent, now all of a sudden you're telling her that's a problem. I can see why she went cold, I would have too. Whatever guilt you have is for you to deal with, your gf isn't a therapist. She's not going to feel bad about having her son and why the heck should she? The poor little guy doesn't have a father at all and I'm sure your gf is already dealing with her own guilty feelings regarding her own child, she doesn't have to deal with your guilt too.

In any case, since this is a deal breaker for you, you should probably not date any single parents in the future.
anika99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2018, 2:53 PM   #7
Established Member

I'm glad the relationship ended. Double standards much. I'm sure she realized that she dodged a bullet for her son!
anika99 likes this.
mikeylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2018, 6:47 PM   #8
Established Member

This post has been helpful to me in a strange twist. I was able to see two very different perspectives regarding my problem. Itís just reinforced to me that I should be dating women like Popsicle as she has the ability to see different sides to an issue. The other commenters more resembled my ex gf. Thanks to all for the advice
Popsicle likes this.
Old 4th February 2018, 11:03 PM   #9
Established Member

Excuse me, amaysngrace too. Thanks for the thoughtful response
Old 20th February 2018, 3:37 PM   #10
Established Member

Iíve come to learn that one of my exís hang ups with me was that she thought Iíd always put my daughter above her. I get mixed opinions on this but my opinion is that itís a topic that doesnít need to be broached (choose gf over daughter). Itís like asking if youíd choose your mother or your father to die if one had to go. Why even make it an issue?