Does anybody else's family holidays revolve around food/drinks?

amaysngrace

Mine does. Every holiday has our own traditional food. Even New Years Day.

Most of it is Italian with the exception of St. Pats obviously but it seems the older I get the more meaningful the traditions become.

Anyone with me?

• Like 1

In Australia, our customs are the same as the British. Roast meals on what will probably be a super hot day. Many are changing so that Xmas day involves cold seafood and salad (I would love to change to this), but my lot is traditional and will not change.

Far too much alcohol is traditional too.

It's now January 2. The leftovers are all gone and I'm on a health kick to undo all the damage.

• Like 1
CautiouslyOptimistic

Not so much, but I'm really missing pork & sauerkraut today. I do have a pork loin in the crock pot, but no sauerkraut and mashed potatoes, which is entirely my fault for not getting my butt to the grocery store.

• Like 2

Heh, you should go to the FSU where both calendars can be followed. One holiday season I had Christmas and New Year's twice while there. And the food! Only thing more 'revolving' was the vodka. Then, once it was all over, back to starving and every last bit of anything left over being utilized to the full. However, that was more cultural than family. However, I came to better understand where our family got that tradition since my mother's family came here during the Revolution (Russian one).

• Like 2

My family always have a Christmas ham, but we have salads and seafood with it, too hot here for a roast meal my family stopped doing that years ago. We also have fruit salad and ice cream for dessert, as our summer fruits are incredible. I've been munching on cherries and blueberries today.

We all drink too much alcohol as well.

• Like 1

For the New Years we always go to the cabin in the mountains have have a Prime Rib Dinner an watch the ball and Peach drop on TV

This year I cooked it from scratch instead of ordering it from HBH...

It was wonderful....

• Like 2
Eternal Sunshine

I am afraid to weigh myself after Christmas and NY period. We have ham, roast and cake all day for Christmas and traditionally my mum makes a roasted turkey and more cake for NYE. Still eating the leftovers :)

• Like 1

My family is always all about the food during the holidays. A lot of the food being made is peruvian with a mixture of some more American style dish. I eat the most food the whole year on the holidays!

As for drinks, my family has a thing for champagne and wine. That's all that is being drunk at the holiday parties.