greedy family disrespecting dead father

don't talk to me

don't talk to me

My mother's and aunt's father (aka my grandfather) passed away recently. Everyone was (or at least seemed!) sad in the funeral. A couple days later his will was opened. And what happened afterwards was sad and ridiculous at the same time.

Just as a background, my grandfather gave to both his daughters houses as a dowry. Houses he worked really really hard to buy (given that he lost his fortune twice during and after WWII). Each daughter chose a house depending on where she lived and that was it. There were some other properties that he didn't pass to his daughters yet. Until his will.

When we opened the will, my aunt and her husband were really mad. Because my grandfather gave a property by the sea to my mum. He also gave her most of his money. He still gave land to my aunt, money to her daughters, and small land to my brother and myself.

You may think it sounds unfair and that he favoured my mum. But he didn't, even though my mum was his only caretaker. The house my aunt got as a dowry is valued at almost 4 times more than my mum's. So my grandfather really tried to be fair and split the efforts of his whole life evenly and in terms of calculated added value.

But sadly my aunt's family wasn't appreciative. They expected even more things. Especially her husband. He cornered my mum and accused her of influencing my grandfather. And worst of all, he talked ill about my grandfather and my aunt let him. One day after the funeral, they said my grandfather is honorless. That made my cry and leave the room. Because I realised they didn't know him or love him at all. And came over only for the inheritance. And my cousins posted on facebook that my grandfather is two faced, egoistical and disgusting. Us cousins spent all of our childhood summers with that man. How could they do this to him while they are still living in the house he worked night and day to buy? And with him still including them in his will?

I won't talk to them, ever again. I want nothing to do with this kind of people. They are dead to me.

Edited by don't talk to me

I am sorry for your loss, your grandfather sounds like a great man who provided for his family. People shouldn't expect anything when relatives pass away, to be given anything at all is a bonus, so it is sad to see how your aunt and her family behaved. So disrespectful towards the person who has given her so much, if they dislike him so much why take any land or money he has left behind. When it comes to money, it can show you what people are really like. They have entitlement issues and nothing is going to change that, so you're right for having nothing to do with them.

• Like 1

Greed, pure and simple. They were obviously expecting half of his remaining estate, not an even split including what they had already received. When someone dies you find out the true character of your family members, and often it isn't very nice. Treasure your fond memories of your grandfather and ignore these greedy selfish people.

• Like 1

You have fond memories and cherish this man and that's worth more than anything money could buy.

I'm very sorry for your loss xo

• Like 1
  • Author
don't talk to me

thank you all for your replies.

i have a hard time getting over this. i felt better after the funeral, seeing my grandad looking so peaceful in his coffin, moments before they buried him. and then these things happened. at least today i saw a wonderful dream about my grandad. we were together and somehow it was implied he would go away soon. i said to him "i love you". he was smiling at me really widely and his eyes were glowing. he looked very happy. he replied to me "please repeat what you said, i'd like to hear it one more time before i go". and i said "i love you" again. and he was still smiling. then i woke up.

now i just finished cleaning his favourite frankenstein watch. he was asking for it days before he died (he couldnt wear it because he had a cannula attached). he combined parts of different watches because he couldn't find a watch were both the screen and the strap were comfortable. the result was a watch with a silvery strap and a black plastic screen. it's a bit ugly but utterly adorable.

• Like 1

That watch story is precious.

That's what I'm talking about...you have these memories of him, the honor of caring for him, spending quality time together, a shared mutual love and all they have is his money.

They could get his entire estate and you'd still be the more fortunate one.

• Like 1