He treats my brother way different then me?

Seriousperson

Seriousperson

This maybe ridiculous, but at my age (late 20s), I feel as though my dad favors my brother a lot more. Let me explain why I feel this way. My dad would lecture us, but I noticed my dad did it different w/my brother. For me, the lecture would consist of all the negative things in my life (still have a lot of deep emotional scars from these lectures). W/my brother though, the lectures were pretty much just "you can do better", talking about how amazing and smart he is.

He never has said he was proud of me (if he did, I would remember). If he never said that to anyone, then I wouldn't take that so personal. He says that to my brother all the time. Even when I got a job w/a company hard to get into, he never said that.

What is up w/this? Is it a guy thing (nothing personal guys)?

Due to his behavior, I have had a lot of self esteem issues over the years. This may be pathetic, but I really only gained self confidence about my looks when I got into my 1st relationship. I legit thought I was ugly because my dad said I didn't have the "looks" to get by in life and that I would end up morbidly obese (have never had weight issues and the bf's I have had said my body was hot). Btw not bragging at all, I had such a hard time accepting compliments. Weirdly enough though guys, family friends and even random people say I'm pretty.

My heart goes out to you, friend. I know how painful and frustrating it is to have an overly critical parent. That said, our parents are also imperfect beings with many weaknesses and struggles of their own; and it’s true that some dads are awkward around their daughters. If you haven’t already, I’d suggest that you find a time when your dad is in a good mood and have a chat with him upfront about the difficulties you’re facing because of his attitude towards you. Rest assured that I’ll be praying for you, asking God to put His loving arms around you and surround you with the comfort and peace. May He draw you and your dad closer to each other and unite your family in His love. Please keep us posted, okay?

• Author
Seriousperson
My heart goes out to you, friend. I know how painful and frustrating it is to have an overly critical parent. That said, our parents are also imperfect beings with many weaknesses and struggles of their own; and it’s true that some dads are awkward around their daughters. If you haven’t already, I’d suggest that you find a time when your dad is in a good mood and have a chat with him upfront about the difficulties you’re facing because of his attitude towards you. Rest assured that I’ll be praying for you, asking God to put His loving arms around you and surround you with the comfort and peace. May He draw you and your dad closer to each other and unite your family in His love. Please keep us posted, okay?

I will keep you posted. One time I tried talking to my dad about this and it turned into a lecture, plus he would say I take things too personal. He actually also told me what he is saying doesn't seem to affect me, it affects a lot, just I rarely break down in front of him (a couple of times I was bawling my eyes out). Thank you :)