Stressed out over parents deteriorating health

Lobouspo

So last week my 83 year old dad was in the hospital with double pnuemonia. My mom has atrial fibrillation and had to take her to the emergency over the weekend. Both of them have bad arthritis in their knees and don't get around real well. My dad's health has been good until recently. Now he's depressed about the constant pain in his knee. It's starting to get overwhelming but I know as their son it's my duty to step up. Any advice or words of encouragement would be appreciated.

whichwayisup

You have a lot on your plate! No wonder you're stressing out so much. Is there anybody else who can help out? Any other siblings or close cousins, family friends who can be involved so it just doesn't fall on you?

• Author

I have a half sister who can help with my mom, but we are not real close. My parents still do pretty well and can even drive to appointments and other things, but health issues just keep cropping up, and I know at their age it really will not get better.

whichwayisup
I have a half sister who can help with my mom, but we are not real close. My parents still do pretty well and can even drive to appointments and other things, but health issues just keep cropping up, and I know at their age it really will not get better.

I hope you involve your half sister, she needs to take some of the load off of you. And it's her parents too so she kinda is obligated ;)

Try to take of yourself along the way, don't neglect your own health and sanity. Practice mindful meditation and yoga, it'll give you a positive and peaceful feeling that could help you through the stresses.

• Like 1