Parents not supportive of my career aspirations

DarrenB

So I've been working literally since I turned 16. I've always been in the Business Industry; progressed from basic admin to finance and accounting, to managerial and now to my current role which is as a BSE (Business Support Executive) for my cities council and alongside that managing a team for a British outsourcing company.

However, both my parents continuously prompt me to do well in my job else I'll get the sack (which in my opinion, I work my ass off for 42 hours p/week. Whenever I discuss what I want to do onwards from a job, like my current one they always say 'it's not good to move or resign from a company, it doesn't look good on a resume and employers will take a second glance at you' or 'You've been in (insert number here) jobs since you were 16, if you quit this one to move forward you'll seem like a quitter'.

They're always quite negative of what I aspire to be and succeed in, more like a sort of pessimism against what I believe is my own personal positive outlook and goals. From each salary I've earnt, I have given them 20% but it's almost like they want me to provide them more or atleast earn a substantially higher amount.

I'm 18 now and finance or some sort of management/executive occupation is where I want to be within. I have the experience, various attributes and the qualifications but I'm skeptical if I leave this current job to pursue an entirely different and new aspiration of mine, then they will be demeaning and look down on me and perhaps even ridicule me for it.

So I've been working literally since I turned 16. I've always been in the Business Industry; progressed from basic admin to finance and accounting, to managerial and now to my current role which is as a BSE (Business Support Executive) for my cities council and alongside that managing a team for a British outsourcing company.

However, both my parents continuously prompt me to do well in my job else I'll get the sack (which in my opinion, I work my ass off for 42 hours p/week. Whenever I discuss what I want to do onwards from a job, like my current one they always say 'it's not good to move or resign from a company, it doesn't look good on a resume and employers will take a second glance at you' or 'You've been in (insert number here) jobs since you were 16, if you quit this one to move forward you'll seem like a quitter'.

They're always quite negative of what I aspire to be and succeed in, more like a sort of pessimism against what I believe is my own personal positive outlook and goals. From each salary I've earnt, I have given them 20% but it's almost like they want me to provide them more or atleast earn a substantially higher amount.

I'm 18 now and finance or some sort of management/executive occupation is where I want to be within. I have the experience, various attributes and the qualifications but I'm skeptical if I leave this current job to pursue an entirely different and new aspiration of mine, then they will be demeaning and look down on me and perhaps even ridicule me for it.

Well for what it's worth, I'm in a similar situation and I'm 25. My mom has been saying exactly what your parents say to you. And because of it, I feel like things have actually been so much worse for me. It's taken me a while to realize that although most parents just want the best for you, sometimes their criticisms can be a negative setback. I've quit schools, jobs, relationships, friendships, etc. because my mom felt like they weren't good enough.

You have to do what's best for you, or else you will always feel resentment. If it's easier, separate yourself from them for a bit so you can focus on your goals.

• Like 2

Are your parents urging you to stay another couple of years - or are they 'job for life' people?

• Like 1

When I changed careers, almost everyone I knew told me I was making a mistake. Well, it's been several years now, and I can quite confidently say they were wrong. I have a job that I love (the polar opposite of before, where I went to bed every night dreading the thought of the next morning), that pays better than the one I would've had if I'd stayed, AND is very flexible with time/location requirements, AND sponsors international travel for me, AND has better and more varied future prospects.

Did I mention that I have no regrets? ;)

You should always do what you believe is right for you, regardless of who your detractors are. Obviously, you should do some research into the field you plan on switching to, and get advice - but from veterans in that industry, not from your parents.

• Like 2

One of my biggest regrets is not pursuing my dream earlier to appease my parents.

I've always wanted to be a real estate investor/real estate developer. To make the long story short, I would have been much farther along - doing what I enjoy- had I started 20 years ago. When I wanted to.

Do what you have a passion for, do it well, and you'll never regret it.

What other people think - including your parents - doesn't matter. You have the greatest chance of success doing what you love and doing it well. You'll be happy. And that's all that matters

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author

Thanks for the previous input all.

I've gone ahead to disregard their constant ridicule and anxiety for my future career and have chosen to hand in my notice for the current company I'm at and have taken up another job role for a different company.

I have an induction there tomorrow (well later today as it's 2:00am) so I hope it goes well.

• Like 3
whichwayisup

Your parents are wrong. You're young and the more experience you have, the better it'll be later in life. Nobody young as you stays at the same job for life, let alone years and years.

Don't let your parents rule your life, it's NOT theirs to control. You're a young adult and are self sufficient. They need to support your decisions and give you confidence not poop on your idea's and dreams.

Thanks for the previous input all.

I've gone ahead to disregard their constant ridicule and anxiety for my future career and have chosen to hand in my notice for the current company I'm at and have taken up another job role for a different company.

I have an induction there tomorrow (well later today as it's 2:00am) so I hope it goes well.

Wonderful, kudos to you for taking the brave step! Let us know how it went. :)

My Dad has always wanted me to work for him. I am nearing middle age now and he is still trying to get me to work for him. I would be a lot wealthier if I had, but satisfied? No. Im not sure he respects any role that is not what he does and everytime he asks me it feels like he doesnt consider what Im doing a job.