Why is my mom pressuring me so much about meeting my boyfriend?

ChattyKat

The rest of my family doesn't seem to intrude too much why I haven't brought him around yet. My boyfriend and I started out as friends then gradually, over a year now, we have grown closer and began dating. Actually, he doesn't seem all that interested in meeting my family. I met his parents several times and they seem to like me. I see us being together long-term, marriage is a possibility.

I really don't care either way, I'm not overly close to my family and rather keep my distance from them for reasons I feel are valid. I know for a fact if I brought him to meet the family, my mom would ask him lots of questions about his personal life, just to be nosey, same with my dad asking about his financial situation like how much money he makes.

My boyfriend & I are introverts preferring our quiet time alone together or spending time with our close friends. We don't want people asking a bunch of questions about ourselves like a job interview.

CautiouslyOptimistic

Meet them at the movies and arrive at the perfect time where they only have 5 minutes to chat before the movie starts :).

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
Redact full quote of starting post

If you don't feel the need to introduce him, he feels no need to meet your family, and you're not even close to your family (who also for the most part don't seem to feel the need to meet him) I'm not really getting what the problem is???

Tell her you'll introduce him when you feel like it and if she doesn't drop it change the subject.

If you have a continuing relationship with your parents and you intend for your boyfriend to be around for a while, you should arrange a meeting. They really should meet each other. Just get it over with.

You should ask your parents beforehand to not to ask him questions that are too personal, like no asking about religion, politics, finances or whatever other topic is uncomfortable for you or your boyfriend. Then prepare your boyfriend to meet them and warn him that they might ask too many questions of him. Let him know that topics such as religion, politics, and finances are not up for discussion and that it's fine for him to not to answer those questions.

Yeah, you and your introvert boyfriend might be uncomfortable, but you'll get through the hour and a half it takes to have dinner. And you'll get through the future 1.5 hour time spans you'll end up spending with them once every 5 years or however often you see them.

• Like 1