Feeling depressed because of how my mother treats me

Enrique77

So, today I drove my mother to work as usual but then I found out that she was not at her job and went out with a man. First off, I know that her private life is non of my business but what bothers me is that she came home drunk and started to yell at me. She has never in her life been this way with me. But today she has behaved as if she is another person. This really scares me and I don't know what to do. I wish I can move apart on my own and not get treated this way. I miss how she was; very loving and caring. I have spent this day in deep depression and crying. I am shocked, I have never seen her like this, what do I do?

I'm sorry. Your mother is mean on alcohol, so I think sometime when she's totally sober, you need to talk to her about it. Leave the guy out of it or she'll think it's about the guy. Say, Mom, you know I love you and appreciate everything you've done for me, but I have to tell you, when you are drunk, you are another person and are mean and it is really scaring me.

If she ignores that and continues to be mean to you when drinking (hoping she will stay away when she's drinking) then maybe there is her mother or father or her sister or brother you can talk to about it who might have some influence over her. Good luck.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Michelle258

When people experience withdrawal symptoms from alcohol, they nearly always deny that they have a drinking problem. In your case, it will be better if you talk to your friends and relatives and recognize the symptoms and encourage alcohol treatment. But this can be tricky.

Edited by Michelle258