Asking dad to with daughters schooling

HurtHusband

Hi everyone

I live in Japan with my wife and two daughters. The eldest went to a great international school and is bilingual and super smart ( they both are ) I work very hard and their schooling is very important to us.

We are back in my home country now for the past 6 months living with my dad. We do have to go back to Japan. I would be grateful if my dad could help me cover the costs for our second child. My dad has several rental properties and is comfortable. I will inherit these properties eventually which I am grateful for...I am independent and lived abroad for 16 yrs, never asking for anything.

My reasoning is, my kids are young now and instead of inheriting in the future now is the time when it would be most helpful..am not asking for a house but perhaps some financial.support to cover one of the children's school fees ..what can I suggest or try to say to make my dad understand...I know he does not have todo anything, but they are his grandkids too...my dad is a widower and enjoys his life to the max which is fine. That's his choice....he does not believe in paying for the schools ( believe me I want to stay here where education is free, but my wife wants to go back )

Thanks and any advice is welcome

GunslingerRoland

It seems like a reasonable request. You obviously feel strongly about paying for the best school, so just tell your Father why you feel so strongly about it, and hopefully you can sway him that even if he doesn't agree with it, that it's important to you.

Is it something you can make work though if he doesn't help out? Because it's not fair for you to keep paying for the best school for your eldest child if you can't do the same for the younger one.

• Author

Hello,

My dad understands my feelings. I would hate if the younger one went to a different school, but she has another year to go before she could enter which gives us some time.

Another thing is, in my country inheritance tax is very hard high. For example on a house worth say $500,000 you might have to pay almost $100,000 in inheritance tax. Of course if my father transferred ownership of one house to me, we could avoid the tex. My dad like most people does not like paying the government tax. I am grateful for inheriting property, but many people end up having to sell any inherited property just to settle the huge tax bill.

I hope we could do something....all the rents on my fathers houses are under market value, there is more demand than supply. Now he's lucky to have good long term tenants which is less hassle. I would not want him to put up the rent...

. He is in fine health, but like I said, I would prefer being able to help out my kids now when it could make a real difference. Instead of inheriting property later in life that comes with a big tax bill.

I hope we can sort something out.

My guess is that, given your dad is a male, he will appreciate REAL thought and planning from you so that choosing to help you would be logical and prudent. SHOW him why helping his second granddaughter would benefit everyone all around. A spreadsheet, a letter, a presentation. Show him that you're putting thought and effort into asking him to promote your daughter.

• Like 1